How to get a sharp looking convertible top....

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Angel

How to get a sharp looking convertible top....

Post by Angel »

Just wanted to give out a tip to everyone out there who has a VW convertible top. I have a white 88 VW Cabriolet. The top was quite dingy so I decided to paint the roof rather than purchasing a new roof. I used White vinyl paint spray cans and it looks excellent and made an old roof look like new. Be sure to tape and cover the windows and body of the vehicle. If you have a professional paint sprayer it works even better.
BV
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:01 am

How to get a sharp looking convertible top....

Post by BV »

I did the same thing, Angel, only with the headliner of my convertible top which I just could not get clean-- and I too was surprised/impressed by how well it worked. I had to be very careful, of course, to cover every thing up in the interior.

I am keeping outside white vinyl roof successfully clean using Orange Hand Cleaner with purnice (environmentally friendly). Since it is easy on cuts on the hand, I'm assuming that this is not too harsh for the vinyl. Sometimes I also apply some vinyl care. But if someone else has a better idea for getting regular road grim off of a white vinyl top, I'm interested.

BV

PS. You may want to add your tip to the "Interior, Exterior,..." Forum.

------------------
'70 KG Convertible

[This message has been edited by BV (edited 01-22-2002).]
User avatar
72SuicideRag
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2000 12:01 am

How to get a sharp looking convertible top....

Post by 72SuicideRag »

Have you ever tried Simple Green? Not sure how it works on 'vert tops, but I've used it in the past to get oily grime off of rubber, vinyls, etc and it worked really well. It's also non-toxic. Just spray it on and let it sit a bit, then scrub a little on it.
You might give that a try for removing grease and grime.

------------------
~~~Steve

'72 Super (eternally under construction)
'62 Baja-rod no fender thiiiiing...
http://volksrodder.tripod.com
http://superbeetlesonly.com
BV
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:01 am

How to get a sharp looking convertible top....

Post by BV »

"Simple Green," eh? I'll keep an eye open for it. Thanks. BV

------------------
'70 KG Convertible
AngelfromVancouver

How to get a sharp looking convertible top....

Post by AngelfromVancouver »

I tried many solutions, including simple green (I think) and I even used a bleach solution, dishwashing detergent and I even took a powerwasher to the top of the convertible. Nothing worked. A friend of mine who works at an autobody shop told me that there was nothing I could do about it, except for trying a few professional cleaning solutions. When he saw the final result he was impressed considering that I have never restored anything before (and probably cause Im a girl, I think I am the only one on this site). I forgot to mention that if you decide to take on this venture please be sure to give it a couple of thin coats and give it time to dry. Be sure to paint in a dust/wind free area.
Post Reply