Should I paint or powder coat the pan and chassis?
-
martyrg
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:25 pm
Should I paint or powder coat the pan and chassis?
I'm doing a complete restoration of a 72 Ghia Convertable. The pan has been repaired, cleaned, sandblasted, and painted with Nason etch primer. This all took place about two years ago. I'm ready to start working on the pan this spring. What do you think would be better, painting or powder coating? The car will be for weekends and driving to car shows.
- SCOTTRODS
- Posts: 633
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am
Re: Should I paint or powder coat the pan and chassis?
I'll shoot a vote out there for Powder Coating. I do it.... I know a bunch about it..... It's better than most any paint as far as durability is concerned. As with all finishes, it's not bulletproof, however it's pretty darned tough as far as it's ability to take a beating without failure. If you got the bones to have it powder coated, I'll go so far as to recommend it.martyrg wrote:I'm doing a complete restoration of a 72 Ghia Convertable. The pan has been repaired, cleaned, sandblasted, and painted with Nason etch primer. This all took place about two years ago. I'm ready to start working on the pan this spring. What do you think would be better, painting or powder coating? The car will be for weekends and driving to car shows.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
-
hugging corners
- Posts: 164
- Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:28 pm
Re: Should I paint or powder coat the pan and chassis?
if youre gonna do it yourself- it will be masive undertaking. You will have to build such of size oven, or if youre willing pay someone to do it- again not many places with such of size oven i think it will cost u dollars.
Look at powdercoating thread where scott and others give many ideas about subject and also there is link to another forum that shows diy ovens construction.http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=116000
Look at powdercoating thread where scott and others give many ideas about subject and also there is link to another forum that shows diy ovens construction.http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=116000
-
Chris V
- Posts: 3416
- Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Should I paint or powder coat the pan and chassis?
Powdercoat - we had our local shop, Powdercoating Inc. begin to sponsor our racing pursuits the past couple years...We've had aircooled cooling system components, vent-wing windows, pop-out windows, headers & mufflers, a spoiler, WCVW valve-covers, and even a handrail for the house done and the finishes (UV, antique, flat, gloss, pearl, etc) are excellent across the board.
Another option you may see or consider, Rhino Liner/Herculiner or similar products...I've got one car that was covered through-out with the stuff by the PO (body on chassis)- and I'm expecting it to be a little quieter and less tin-can like than most.
Another option you may see or consider, Rhino Liner/Herculiner or similar products...I've got one car that was covered through-out with the stuff by the PO (body on chassis)- and I'm expecting it to be a little quieter and less tin-can like than most.
-
BAJA-IT
- Posts: 2046
- Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:02 pm
Re: Should I paint or powder coat the pan and chassis?
If you want go with powder coat, you should see if there are any trailer manufacturers that do powder coating in your area, they would have a big enough oven.
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
- SCOTTRODS
- Posts: 633
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am
Re: Should I paint or powder coat the pan and chassis?
What part of the world are you located nearest? (Big city)... I'll see if I can help you find a reputable coater. I wouldn't take mine to a trailer builder, they have a different philosophy on coatings. They don't care about the details,.... just the bulk.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
-
martyrg
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:25 pm
Re: Should I paint or powder coat the pan and chassis?
I'm about 50 miles northwest of Detroit.
- SCOTTRODS
- Posts: 633
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am
Re: Should I paint or powder coat the pan and chassis?
Alrighty , I'm checking on it for ya..... Maybe we can get you done. I know a guy in Vegas that does these on a regular basisi if you want to ship it for coating.... But that'll drive the cost way up.martyrg wrote:I'm about 50 miles northwest of Detroit.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
-
Bruce2
- Posts: 7105
- Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 1:01 am
Re: Should I paint or powder coat the pan and chassis?
How about this treatment for your pan:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.