1641cc twin scroll turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
70dragbug

Re: 1641cc twin scroll turbo

Post by 70dragbug »

Hahaha...yes! Go Opa!! Cool pics Chris!
Munchhausen

Post by Munchhausen »

One small idea to your EDIS problem.
As far as i read, the accel Coils do not realy make more power with EDIS controlling the dwell.
If you can borrow this Bosch-Motorsport coil (0 221 503 407) some where, i would give it a try. Buying it is maybe too expensive if it doesnt work.
Dont know how EDIS is calculating the start of coil charging, maybe some one else know?

If it does by current (7A) then the Bosch coil should make about 5KV more than the EDIS stock coil.
If it does just by time(4.1ms dwell) you should get even more (ca. 40KV). But then you have to check if the coil is getting too hot. Maybe its a little too much current then. But if its running this way but getting too hot, you could add a resistor in its supply line and maybe finding a point where coils temperature is ok and still delivering enough power.

just an idea
munch
my_medusa

Post by my_medusa »

more easy to go direct coil ;) with megasquirt. end cheaper too. and then also can add lauch control.
thats the way to go.
i have to open my megasquirt too because i will add my 3 bar map sensor + boost controll so i will also go direct coil then
Munchhausen

Post by Munchhausen »

Thats for shure the better way :D
my_medusa

Post by my_medusa »

edis is super. but i have read a lot over the net with spark gap problems because the modul is to save and spark blow out under boost, but the coil itselve is a very good one.
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

If your going coil near plug (CNP) I would suggest going with the Yukon coil.
Watch this video its very informative. I used the Yukon coil, no complaints... (except I still have to fix my fuel leak...) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1WH0OExQyA

its really a great video :P
Munchhausen

Post by Munchhausen »

my_medusa wrote:edis is super. but i have read a lot over the net with spark gap problems because the modul is to save and spark blow out under boost, but the coil itselve is a very good one.
And your accel one is maybe even better, when not controlled by EDIS Modul.
my_medusa

Post by my_medusa »

my plan is with my ms1 extra edis :

direct coil the edis coil+
boost control, launch control, table swich and fan output(is my electronic pop off) + my 3 bar map sensor

is this to realize? i mean sometimes interference inside the ecu could be to much.
i want to (with a 2 way acting boost can and easy spring) can swich between 2 tables of boost between 0,5 bar street and 1,5+ bar race mod.
Munchhausen

Post by Munchhausen »

To have minimised EMI issues, place your ignition drivers at the same place your EDIS module is now. Using the PIP and SAW wires for controling the two drivers. Easiest would be using Bosch Module 0 227 100 200. But these Modules have current limit as safty funktion. The datasheet says 8-10A. 8A maybe a limitation when getting the sh.. out of the EDIS coil. :lol: But would expect the coil still the limitation not the Bosch-module.
But thats just theory and maybe someone here is experienced in cooking EDIS-coils? :D

The mods for launch controle can be done inside the MS box.
You using boost controle allready, arent you? Then leave as is.

Cant say if all you want is covert by the software, i am not familiar with MS1 and its current MSextra code.

But if you making all the mods to your system its maybe the perfect moment to switch to MS2!!
One thing that comes in mind, for example, is the knock controle feature with automatic spark retard. As far as i know thats not covert by MS1. Or allready important for you now is a much better wheeldecoder in MS2, because maybe you loosing ignition-timing-accuracy when switching from EDIS wheeldecoder to MS1 one. The one in the EDIS module is very good.

munch
my_medusa

Post by my_medusa »

so i will dyno it on tuesday if the car is not to doop in the rear for the dyno. hope so.

and i got my cam. it's a tcs-20 from richie webb. thanks for it! currently have stock lifters in it, bugpack cromo pushrods and scat double springs. still have chims laying around. would it be enough to chim the springs or that are you guys use with that cam?
the lifters? good enough?
the cam should go into the car end of august so it's still a little time. but better more rpm than too much boost /torque.
will stay at that leven where it is right now maybe a little more but could need more rpm..

wishes
chris
my_medusa

Post by my_medusa »

ready for the dyno tomorrow. raised the rear of the car and hopefully its enough to fit the dyno. the tires now are perfekt parallel to each other.
boost will be 1,1-1,2 bar
98 (super plus) fuel
little too fat under full load and save ignition
spark gap is now 0,45mm....that could be not cool, but it run good with it

hope the peak hp would be not in too low rpm...i bet around 4700rpm so goal is 150-160 hp and about 260nm.
lets see tomorow.
after that the engine will get the tcs-20 cam, boost controll and direct coil.+++ in the next step
volksbugly

Post by volksbugly »

Sweet look forward to seeing the chart results! :)

Hey does that turbo have a model number specifically? Having a hard time finding one.
I know its a borg warner k03, but I'm wondering which one, there seems to be many. Was yours a t3 flange?
my_medusa

Post by my_medusa »

flange is the hard thing you have to build an exhaust that fit this :
http://www.spsturbostore.com/158-thickb ... 880146.jpg
there are some numbers like that
53039700181 - 53039700118
my_medusa

Post by my_medusa »

http://youtu.be/ntmL5kEBfhU

160hp@4790rpm
318nm@3430rpm

call him little torqueMEISTER

did a sec. pull with little more boost but hat no pc with me and remember i had kind of a crapy boost limiter at 230kpa with way to fat fuel the hole line 10 points more than under. and that you could see in the plot.
but with that about 1,3 bar it made 335nm at 3440 and 165hp at 3510rpm that was 113.4 kw to the wheels at 3510 rpm. but hat little unter 160hp max at 4950 rpm.

so what could be the main limit. the cam? or also the mexican manifolds?of the turbine?
at the end its way more torque that i thought but it is just in a spot.
it also hold 156hp at 5500rpm and 150hp at 6200rpm but the torque is gone quickly so lets talk about what it could be to make the torquecurve flat and not that high

goal is 200hp and 270nm over a longer band.

wishes
chris
Last edited by my_medusa on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
my_medusa

Post by my_medusa »

just a short compare to dred
at 3000rpm i have 270nm
and hp is the same but earlier.
the torque was more for sure, bigger exhaust valve, 1641cc to 1585cc. and and and.
so you can see it is easy to compare it's in the same range because of the close same setups.
we should meet each other and race.
wishes
to france
chris