
S.O.B. build - on The Salt is off road ;)
- kyle_pc_75
- Posts: 1804
- Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Cam installed. Yes, I'm posting every time I do something seemingly successfully. 


- CentralWAbaja
- Posts: 4291
- Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
You drink a cold one yet?kyle_pc_75 wrote:Cam installed. Yes, I'm posting every time I do something seemingly successfully.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
- TimS
- Posts: 5723
- Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Sounds good. Did you leave the distributer driveshaft/gear in there or are you going to align and install it after the case is together?kyle_pc_75 wrote:Cam installed. Yes, I'm posting every time I do something seemingly successfully.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
- kyle_pc_75
- Posts: 1804
- Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
I left the distributor and drive in there and aligned everything together.
- bajaherbie
- Posts: 9967
- Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
kyle you need to clean up your shop floor....
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
- Big Dave
- Posts: 3208
- Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
How did you get the rods to stand up like that?
Everything turns free and the cam doesn't walk up when you turn the crank?
Everything turns free and the cam doesn't walk up when you turn the crank?
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
- kyle_pc_75
- Posts: 1804
- Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
I'm using moly grease for assembly lube. They stood up just long enough for me to shoot the pic! Yes, everything turns free, and the cam stays.Big Dave wrote:How did you get the rods to stand up like that?
Everything turns free and the cam doesn't walk up when you turn the crank?
Thanks for checking in, Dave!
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
I WOULD PULL THE DRIVE GEAR IF I WERE YOU. caps are just for your attention, but you seem to be paying plenty of it. if you don't already know, spinning hte motor w/ the drive gear in but NO dizzy can ruin the brass gear, as the drive gear can get driven up the slot a bit, then when the crank spins the other way, the steel and brass have an arm wrestling competition, and you can guess who wins.
since you have a pivoting engine stand, installing the drive gear later will be easy, all you need is a long phillips screw driver, a touch of grease and expanding pliers, like for ur c-clips on ur CV joints.
since you have a pivoting engine stand, installing the drive gear later will be easy, all you need is a long phillips screw driver, a touch of grease and expanding pliers, like for ur c-clips on ur CV joints.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
as a matter of fact, how DID you assemble it? use the moly as glue to make the drive gear defy gravity?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- ajdenette
- Posts: 717
- Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Fusername as you can see he has a DISTRIBUTOR sticking out of the hole holding it all in place and making sure the distributor drives haft does not ride up or go anywhere.Installed studs, bearings, lifters today. For me, these are big steps!!!
Alex
|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
- kyle_pc_75
- Posts: 1804
- Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Yep, distributor is installed. I'm just glad you guys are all paying attention. I'm posting here so my mistakes will be caught!!!ajdenette wrote:Fusername as you can see he has a DISTRIBUTOR sticking out of the hole holding it all in place and making sure the distributor drives haft does not ride up or go anywhere.
Thanks!
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
what do you mean? of course I am paying, oh look a squirrel
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- kyle_pc_75
- Posts: 1804
- Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Just so you don't think I'm not doing anything other than making silly videos....

I had to tear it back down to the short block because there was zero deck height and add shims. That's cool, it allowed me to check ring alignment and learn the joys of a ring compressor. The pushrod tubes are soaking in some nifty chemical cleaner to be installed tomorrow.
I think I'm supposed to pack for a road trip, too....no worries, I never unpacked from Primm.

I had to tear it back down to the short block because there was zero deck height and add shims. That's cool, it allowed me to check ring alignment and learn the joys of a ring compressor. The pushrod tubes are soaking in some nifty chemical cleaner to be installed tomorrow.
I think I'm supposed to pack for a road trip, too....no worries, I never unpacked from Primm.
- TimS
- Posts: 5723
- Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
Interested in the cleaner... what is it and how well did it work?
That is one shiny engine. What deck height did you target? I was told .050 for my application.
That is one shiny engine. What deck height did you target? I was told .050 for my application.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
- kyle_pc_75
- Posts: 1804
- Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm
Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)
The same, .050.
The pushrod tubes were out of a pile of junk stuff, I can't find the ones from this motor. They have some weird calcium deposit looking stuff on them, Purple Degreaser didn't work. I think I'm going to junk them, don't want to chance that stuff getting loose inside my engine.
Time to hunt through the garage for my other ones.
The pushrod tubes were out of a pile of junk stuff, I can't find the ones from this motor. They have some weird calcium deposit looking stuff on them, Purple Degreaser didn't work. I think I'm going to junk them, don't want to chance that stuff getting loose inside my engine.
Time to hunt through the garage for my other ones.
