New Intake

User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Wally »

Image

:mrgreen:
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Steve Arndt
Posts: 7420
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Steve Arndt »

Please educate us on your flow numbers? Did you compare to other intakes?
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Wally »

We could only compare to my former 1600i manifold that we measured with and without last year. That gave way less CFM.
The SP1 manifold gave a very nice positive CFM hence the :mrgreen:

I can't disclose how much exactly as I might need the flow sheets for a magazine article.
So, sorry, no numbers, I can only confirm that the manifold works (very) well for me and that it was educational to learn what makes the numbers rise and what does not.
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
andy198712
Posts: 2433
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: New Intake

Post by andy198712 »

cool, whats your new target for the 1200 then?!?!?
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Wally »

andy198712 wrote:cool, whats your new target for the 1200 then?!?!?
Same as last year: 200 flywheel hp or 175 wheel-hp :wink:
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
andy198712
Posts: 2433
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: New Intake

Post by andy198712 »

Wally wrote:
andy198712 wrote:cool, whats your new target for the 1200 then?!?!?
Same as last year: 200 flywheel hp or 175 wheel-hp :wink:

bet your feeling more confident this year :shock:
User avatar
Paul H
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Paul H »

Here's a shot of the 58mm
Image

Each half is the same area as a 43mm diameter circle
You can just see the high mount injector ports coming through-they aim straight into the middle of the intake port
Steve Arndt
Posts: 7420
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Steve Arndt »

Thanks for that picture.

How do you have the vacuum ports configured and placed? Is there a single, or two ports for each?
User avatar
Paul H
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Paul H »

Steve
If you mean the vac take off for map sensor,servo,regulator etc then you can
see those on the very first pic on this thread-just hiding behind the throttle lever.
1/4npt both sides
User avatar
Kalle
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:10 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Kalle »

Paul H wrote:Looking good
Personally I'd go for a Tee section in 2.5 for three reasons :-
Firstly- I don't think you would gain anything from a fancy seagull tee or Y section
Secondly -the fabricated Y will add a lot more length and maybe give you headaches with clearance especially with the barrel chargecooler.
Thirdly- In effect you will be splitting the runner and then the up pipe or cooler becomes the "plenum chamber" which may or may not have an adverse effect
With that charge cooler I'd even be tempted to weld a 2.5 or 3 inch diameter pipe straight across the outlet and then neck it down to 2.25 to take the silicon hose for a very compact induction
Thanks Paul, here is a test mock up I did today from some 3" pipes before I go ahead and order alu pipes and bends. It will be a T like you say due to space issues but inside the T I will bend a thin plate into a V shape and weld it on the "roof". I will hide the vacuum ports and the BOV on the back of the "plenum" tube. On each side I will use silicone bending reducers and I will also make two fasteners so that I can bolt the plenum on the two upper bolts for the alternator/fan house. The total length of the plenum is 82 cm. so the volume will be 2.3 - 2.4 liters which is quite close to where I wish to be.

Image

-BB-
User avatar
Paul H
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Paul H »

Kalle
That looks very neat and tidy.
Are the bends 45 degree at each end and then you will use 45 degree silicone reducer bends ?
Do you think the deck lid will close without standoffs ?
Cheers
Paul
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Wally »

Paul H wrote: Do you think the deck lid will close without standoffs ?
Cheers
Paul
I am dead certain it will. I know Kalle will not leave home before that is accomplished again 8)
He doesn't even have cut his deck lid for vert breathing vents...
Damn purists! :lol: :lol: :lol:
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
User avatar
Kalle
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:10 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Kalle »

Thank you guys,

Yes I will be able to close the lid without stand offs. I will place the plenum tube as close to the fan house as absolutely possible and it runs "behind" the breather filter in the picture even though it is difficult (read impossible) to see on picture above. You're right Paul, the bends are 45 degree and I will use 45 degree silicone reducers instead of gradually decreasing the size on the pipe itself. I think that will work fine. I will either polish the whole intake system or get it (including the IC) powder coated satin black with wrinkles.

-BB-
User avatar
Paul H
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Paul H »

Kalle I prefer the polished ally myself :wink:
Just started to port a pair of 58mm manifolds to match up to some CB Ultramags (big oval port)
There is plenty of material to take out but it shouldn't take too long with the monster die grinder
I acquired recently
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: New Intake

Post by Wally »

Paul H wrote: the monster die grinder
I acquired recently
Picture! pretty please.. 8)
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Post Reply