Corvair bodywork slideshow

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Corvair bodywork slideshow

Post by miniman82 »

Thought maybe you guys would like to follow along in the process, since I personally cringe at cutting up metal. :lol: I'd never be able to get it done myself, so I farmed the work out to TLC Restorations in Edgerton, WI. Bob & Bob are a father/son team, they do great stuff, and are a joy to deal with. I'm looking forward to driving the heck out of this car when it's finally done, which should be around summer '10. And keep in mind: they've told me this body is a nice one, much less rust than usual! :shock:


http://www.tlc-restorations.com/Cars/66 ... corsa.html
User avatar
doc
Site Admin
Posts: 3589
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Re: Corvair bodywork slideshow

Post by doc »

Nice pix! Got any more that detail the repair process?

doc
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: Corvair bodywork slideshow

Post by miniman82 »

Well, there hasn't been any hardcore metal work just yet. All they've done thus far is strip the shell (sandblast), and put a conversion coating on it to keep it from getting any worse. Right now they are searching for patch panels off donor cars, and I'm working on getting them more cash to play with. :oops: There will be more photos in the future, probably next month when they pull it back out of storage.
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: Corvair bodywork slideshow

Post by miniman82 »

Well, a lot of work has been done since I last saw the car. The front and rear window channels have now been replaced with fresh metal, all dents have been pounded out, the doors/hood/decklid are all aligned correctly, and the body is more or less ready to prep for paint. Only things left as far as metal are the easily replaceable battery tray, and a small panel in the trunk. I think Bob said something about primer and block sanding in a little bit, then it's off to the paint booth. The plan right now is to shoot the car in white, with a metal flake green stripe right down the left side. I think it's gonna look killer. :twisted:
IMGP5104.JPG
IMGP5105.JPG
IMGP5106.JPG
IMGP5107.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: Corvair bodywork slideshow

Post by miniman82 »

Long overdue update- we finally have paint!
collage.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image
Post Reply