I meant to ask if you were using a cellphone to take pictures. If you are, the photobucket app should let you pick the size that you upload in setup. If you pick 800 as the max, then you can stick the "IMG" code in and it will insert the pic for you. Hope that made sense...supaninja wrote:LOLOLOLOL, good catch Ron, it is now fixed. I'm a lazy fucker too, and haven't bothered to learn how to post pics on here with the new size limit.
'68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
-
ambrynmc
- Posts: 335
- Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
1971 Truckaru (WRX eng/trans powered Domus flatbed bug-truck) - build thread
- 55superbeetle
- Posts: 299
- Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:01 am
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
I love megasquirt as much as anybody but the stock ecu would have been the ticket. With the money for the ms3 and the dyno time its going to take to get it to make even stock power could have payed for Kpro. Pretty sure you can even buy a harness that plugs right into the motor harness and allows for a simple hookup for a few hundred buck s now. I got the vvt working on an evo 10 4b11 motor with ms3 but it took hours on the dyno to even get back to stock power. Either way I love the project! Can't wait to see it running.
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
For sure kpro w/harness would have been half as much as what I got into this MS3x setup, but the motor and ECU are from a jdm only vehicle and I'm not sure if hondata supports it. Kpro is friggin sweet and I have lots of experience with flashpro, but I'm a glutten for punishment and I already had the MS3x. To be honest, making stock power would be nice but if I don't get around to making some dyno time it's still going to be a giant improvement over my current 1600sp motor55superbeetle wrote:I love megasquirt as much as anybody but the stock ecu would have been the ticket. With the money for the ms3 and the dyno time its going to take to get it to make even stock power could have payed for Kpro. Pretty sure you can even buy a harness that plugs right into the motor harness and allows for a simple hookup for a few hundred buck s now. I got the vvt working on an evo 10 4b11 motor with ms3 but it took hours on the dyno to even get back to stock power. Either way I love the project! Can't wait to see it running.
ambrynmc- I'll give that a try on the next pics, thanks for the heads up.

'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- MarioVelotta
- Posts: 4086
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:01 am
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Subscribed for awesomeness 
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
My Christmas update, and it's is complete weak-sause since there really isn't much report.
Work has me on a short leash, the schedule for January is 12hrs every day so nothing is going to get done. For this 4 day weekend I'm finally organizing the garage, got a bunch of shelves from Lowe's and I'm currently squeezing 10 tons of poop into a 5 ton bag. I figure if my work area is dress right dress then the actual install and initial start-up should go a lot smoother. I some nice wiring lace, maybe tomorrow I'll start on the engine harness.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Work has me on a short leash, the schedule for January is 12hrs every day so nothing is going to get done. For this 4 day weekend I'm finally organizing the garage, got a bunch of shelves from Lowe's and I'm currently squeezing 10 tons of poop into a 5 ton bag. I figure if my work area is dress right dress then the actual install and initial start-up should go a lot smoother. I some nice wiring lace, maybe tomorrow I'll start on the engine harness.
Merry Christmas everyone!

'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
What's the latest on this beast?
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2006
67 Beetle
74 Transporter (SOHC EJ25)
See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
67 Beetle
74 Transporter (SOHC EJ25)
See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
I tried to downsize my pics but STF is still not having it, but AJ straightened me out, thanks homie
So I started to lace the engine harness:







It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, I wish they had the red lace in stock, damn that would have popped.
So I started to lace the engine harness:







It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, I wish they had the red lace in stock, damn that would have popped.
Last edited by supaninja on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- MarioVelotta
- Posts: 4086
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:01 am
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Looks killer! You never see it done, that's for sure.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
- ajdenette
- Posts: 717
- Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 pm
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
After you edit a picture it changes the file name and you need to re copy the link into your post from the "new" photo it catches me some time too.
It is looking like it will be a fun Bay when you get it running
edited 1/21 to remove pictures after supaninja got is pictures fixed
It is looking like it will be a fun Bay when you get it running
edited 1/21 to remove pictures after supaninja got is pictures fixed
Last edited by ajdenette on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Thanks AJ, spare time has become quite illusive lately, in fact this might have been my last weekend off till March. The TX VW Classic is exactly 3 months away, I'm going to put in for vacation the week prior and do the motor swap then. I shall call it Bus Week, it will be as badass as shark week but cooler.

'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
So I have been working tail off, Superbowl Sunday was my first day off in 2 weeks and I just didn't have time to get a lot done. So I decided to install a Dub Shop transducer onto the motor to datalog/display oil pressure. Honda in all their infinite wisdom uses BSPT for the oil press sender and the PCV, yeah lame. I found this little beauty to solve that. So I am still using the stock oil press sender, transducer, and I have extra ports...no, I'm not planning on boosting this motor, muahahaha! I took the extra time to make all nice and square since this thing is front and center when I open the decklid.
http://www.nissport.com/catalog/product ... plications

http://www.nissport.com/catalog/product ... plications


'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Finally got some time to work on the motor.

Cleaned up the stock ex manifold and heat shield, it's hard to tell in that pic but I welded a 3 bolt flange to the end so I don't have to hunt all the weird Honda stuff to mate it to the exhaust.

I finally pulled the valve cover and plugs, looks like this motor has been sitting for a while, there was a little bit of corrosion on a couple of the lobes, it was only on the surface and no pitting so I should be fine. I coated it all in moly grease then put a new seals on the VC and stuffed some new plugs in it.

Cleaned up the stock ex manifold and heat shield, it's hard to tell in that pic but I welded a 3 bolt flange to the end so I don't have to hunt all the weird Honda stuff to mate it to the exhaust.

I finally pulled the valve cover and plugs, looks like this motor has been sitting for a while, there was a little bit of corrosion on a couple of the lobes, it was only on the surface and no pitting so I should be fine. I coated it all in moly grease then put a new seals on the VC and stuffed some new plugs in it.

'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
It's a AFCO 1x2' double pass radiator and a 12" SPAL fan





'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- RonW
- Posts: 544
- Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:31 am
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
looking good, i missed the prior post, those headers look nice. maybe i missed what you did for the coating, i like.
are you gonna make a shroud for the fan to pull air thru all of it? what size are those input/output tubes on the rad? when i ordered mine, i didnt think about that and had to make adapters to go to 1.25" for the hose, pita.
keep up the nice work.
are you gonna make a shroud for the fan to pull air thru all of it? what size are those input/output tubes on the rad? when i ordered mine, i didnt think about that and had to make adapters to go to 1.25" for the hose, pita.
keep up the nice work.
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
I'm going to try it without a shroud, I'm hoping the moving airflow across it the radiator will be better that way. If I'm wrong then I'll do up a shroud.
It's 1.5 and 1.75, I screwed up and didn't do my due diligence or else I would have just gotten the one with 1.25" inlet/outlet so I'm going to use that adapter that posted on your thread, which is fine since I'm going to put the CLT sensor in it.
I just blasted the manifold at work and sprayed some rustoleum on it to keep it from rusting. One day I'll have all of the exhaust coated, most likely swaintech. http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=108
It's 1.5 and 1.75, I screwed up and didn't do my due diligence or else I would have just gotten the one with 1.25" inlet/outlet so I'm going to use that adapter that posted on your thread, which is fine since I'm going to put the CLT sensor in it.
I just blasted the manifold at work and sprayed some rustoleum on it to keep it from rusting. One day I'll have all of the exhaust coated, most likely swaintech. http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=108

'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387