where to connect the electric fuel pump
-
JHHeiger
- Posts: 110
- Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:55 am
where to connect the electric fuel pump
On the ignition so it only runs when the engine is on, or to the battery through a switch?
- Dale M.
- Posts: 1673
- Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09 am
Re: where to connect the electric fuel pump
Minimally--- through ignition switch so it only runs while ignition is on.... Might want to consider using a relay so pump does not load ignition switch with more "current" (amps) may also what to consider some sort of "control circuit " so if engine stalls or car is in accident and engine quits, pump does not continue to run ans possibly be spraying fuel all over accident scene...JHHeiger wrote:On the ignition so it only runs when the engine is on, or to the battery through a switch?
Might want to consider something like this... Its a relay and an safety switch....
http://revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html
Having pump on separate switch is something you always have to remember to turn on or off EVERY TIME you run car, after a time you will learn to hate it... Only consolation is it makes good anti-theft device....
Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
-
Theo
- Posts: 478
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:49 pm
Re: where to connect the electric fuel pump
I connected the FP to the battery using a relay that works with the key. It also has a dash switch with a relay to allow for emergency manual cut of. I have not wired in the impact switch to shut down on impact.
So the key has to be on and the switch for the FP to run.
I have noticed the FP pulls some amps and I did end up running a dedicated circuit for it.
So the key has to be on and the switch for the FP to run.
I have noticed the FP pulls some amps and I did end up running a dedicated circuit for it.
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: where to connect the electric fuel pump
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=114905
My current daily driver is set up with a tachometric relay from a CIS Rabbit; previously I've used relays controlled by the generator/alternator output. Not the only ways to go, but two which have never given me any trouble.
My current daily driver is set up with a tachometric relay from a CIS Rabbit; previously I've used relays controlled by the generator/alternator output. Not the only ways to go, but two which have never given me any trouble.
-
tattooed_pariah
- Posts: 48
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:40 pm
Re: where to connect the electric fuel pump
I ran a wire from an always hot circuit to a 25amp blade fuse, to a toggle switch, to a relay..
My "reminder" (as if the sound of a Holley Red spinning isn't enough..) is the power lead from that relay splits, one side to my pump, the other side to another fuse that powers some of those stupid stick on led strips.. guys in my club say the inside of my car looks like a cheap brothel when it's on because there are two foot long strips of red led's under my dash
My "reminder" (as if the sound of a Holley Red spinning isn't enough..) is the power lead from that relay splits, one side to my pump, the other side to another fuse that powers some of those stupid stick on led strips.. guys in my club say the inside of my car looks like a cheap brothel when it's on because there are two foot long strips of red led's under my dash
-pariah
"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
1972 VolksRod Build Thread
"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
1972 VolksRod Build Thread