Harness

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
itawolf
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Harness

Post by itawolf »

What's a good wiring harness to get
I'm going to redomy full body
But I'm adding few more circuits for radio/fans etc

I know painless & Watson

But what else is out there
Besides oem style
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
dragvw2180
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: Harness

Post by dragvw2180 »

On my 66 I am going to wire a piggy back wiring harness for all my add on componants. I recently wired two friends cars using aftermarket harness systems , had all the relays, fuses and switches in a nice box. The problem with it was reassigning the switches/ relays for use on a VW was not strait forward like we thought it would be. The other part is getting the correct guage of the wires for each circuit correct , when you buy a prewired unit you either have to use it "as is " or install additional relays so that you can run a heavier guage wire for that circuit. On my car there will be a delay box, Nitros system , a data logger system, an aftermarket ignition system , additional cooling system, electric fuel pumps , a line lock , a clutch magnet for the delay box , many guages , and who knows what else. My point is if you plan it out correctly I believe it would be easier to make your own rather than making theirs work on your car.
Steve Arndt
Posts: 7420
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:01 am

Re: Harness

Post by Steve Arndt »

Wiring Works.
dragvw2180
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: Harness

Post by dragvw2180 »

Steve the OP asked about aftermarket / non OEM options per his post , but the harness is made really well and I have used them plus I have one for my 66 still in the bag. Mike McCarthy
User avatar
itawolf
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Re: Harness

Post by itawolf »

Thx Guys
I have all the tools/pins/wire etc
I was wondering if anyone had a nice 15-20 fuse kit

I think im going to piggy back also
RET Marine 0317 --with VW on the lobe!!
Lots of iron in the fire
weldvair
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Harness

Post by weldvair »

EZ wiring is the cheapest.....I have used it 3 times on my street rods/it's first class w/the wires
labeled every 6"

Don
retired mech engr living in central florida
Post Reply