What do I have???

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
chaosrob
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:05 pm

What do I have???

Post by chaosrob »

Hey all, wasn't sure where to post this, so here it goes.

I was given this item after a friend cleaned out their garage, it's 6 volt and appears to be an old school gas heater.

Not sure if it's complete, or if it works, I'm looking to find out more info so I can offer it for sale at some point

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: What do I have???

Post by david58 »

User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: What do I have???

Post by Marc »

Image

Looks like a Stewart-Warner Southwind. Simpler than the Eberspachers but less commonly dealer-installed (although they were extremely common in Canada back in the day).There should be an ID plate on it somewhere that you can get some info from...a lot of them were just metal-foil stickers on the blower fan housing so it may be long gone.

Download the .pdf file here for wiring diagrams and service info; on page 1 there's a listing of the various model numbers available for VW applications:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?c ... &sa=Search


The Southwinds made expressly for VW applications looked a lot different than the art-deco models found in old Fords, etc. (the ones which look like Rocket Man helmets - mostly what you'll find on eBay)...they also made models for small airplanes. Many components are common to several models so an aircraft-focused distributor may be able to hook you up with repair parts if you have the P/N from the above manual. http://haroldhaskinsinc.com/heaterspricelists.html

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... 01&start=0
Post Reply