Custom fan Shroud .

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
wreck

Re: Custom fan Shroud .

Post by wreck »

I made another shroud with changes to the #1 #2 side but didn't get the results I wanted . still about a 15-20C temp difference . :( . Also still didn't get the fan clearance right . I modified it to get fan clearance and have a bit more clearance than my other shroud . The funny thing is it gives a distinct almost blower type whine that the other shroud doesn't . I'll leave the R&D on the shroud for now , One I don't like working with fibreglass it's a PITA to work with and I don't know if the temp difference is just something with this engine ,even though the compressions are even . If I had cheap dyno excess I'd run it up without the belt and see what the difference is with load .
FullSizeRender-7.jpg
I moved on to trying to make the car nicer to drive , the exhaust has always droned and been loud and after an hour on the freeway is not nice . Since I couldn't buy a muffler to fit where I wanted to put one ,I decided to have a go at making one . Pretty happy with the results. I'll make another one for the other side but with just straight tube .
custom muffler 1.JPG
custom muffler 2.JPG
custom muffler .JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter where you go , there you are !
patto

Post by patto »

great work Wreck! interested to know how many decibels you have reduced with your own muffler? its always hard balance to get right with limited supply of exhaust parts for the Type 4. Ill no doubt build my own also.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

have you tried removing the belt and starting it up and monitoring temps?

great project!
wreck

Post by wreck »

The DIY muffler replaced the little resonator in the pic ,it's fibreglass packing had burnt away . It was quieter but still droned , I removed the big triflow muffler and fitted a resonator , that has removed a lot of the drone ,I plan to make a straight through muffler and then a resonator running behind the engine with the exhaust tip in the centre near the collector . It's 2 1/2 inch system .
Gabbi underneath . .jpg
I have let the car idle without a belt and the temps are still different , I'd like to run it under constant load off the idle circuit . With 4 CHT's you can really see how much idle mixture and carby balance plays with head temps ,even when driving . I know the thermocouples/gauge is accurate because after running turning off and checking the temps 10 5 minutes later they are even .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wreck

Post by wreck »

Merry Christmas Forum Folks , I wish you a safe and merry Christmas and fantastic New Year .
an update on the custom shroud .
I made a small concave shape change to the back (#1) section of the shroud causing the airflow to move more to #1 cylinder added a small vane and now have what I was hoping for . All 4 cylinders with in 10C all the time . Most of the time they are with in 5C of each other .
The picture is the CHT's after a 14km 30 minute peak hour commute in 30C ambient temps . The thermocouples are attached to the spark plug boss in the heads .
Not bad for an air-cooled engine with over 200 flywheel HP .

https://youtu.be/9cYrZ37L63s
CHT shroud #3.jpg
. (may not work till 26/12 .)

This shroud would be easy to use in a Joe Cali style conversion and may be made available to buy either by itself or with the cylinder covers depending on demand .
patto

Post by patto »

Great work mate!

I couldn't get the link to work though? it says its private
patto

Post by patto »

Just watched the link! 170hp at the wheels and over 400nm of torque. That is impressive to say the least.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Can you give a possible price point. I might be interested in two(potentially)

H2OSB
wreck

Post by wreck »

I'll have to work out the cost of manufacturing the shroud and tins with Megamanx who's day job is working with composites and go from there .
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

That's good enough for now. Just know I'm interested.

Thanks
H2OSB
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

I'd take one too..
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
barls80

Post by barls80 »

I’d be interested as well for my 2L t4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actionj

Post by actionj »

I’m interested as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wreck

Post by wreck »

Sorry guys it will be a little while , day jobs are getting in the way of hobbies !! But you all will be first on the list .