1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

Chip Birks wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:09 pm Even the real deal Fuchs are very very light. My Ercos are light, but the tires on them are not. Slicks are very light weight compared to your typical street tire.
My car is a tank, and will stay that way. Reducing weight doesn't appeal to me. I'll just turn up the boost. That's the beauty of a turbo car. You aren't limited to a set hp. If you want to go faster , just turn up the boost. If you are knock limited, spend a couple bucks on race gas, turn up the boost for a minute, prove your point, and then turn it back down. NA guys potato chip their cars because making big NA hp is hard. We live on easy street.
I could probably build a bigger engine for what an original set of fuch wheels cost!
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

the porsche spares are super expensive too, but look nice!

what about getting your rotors redialled for a common pattern, like VW or Nissan ect? lots more wheels about and cheaper too in the long run.

i'm going sleeper so stuck with stock 5.5 steels with chrome hub caps.

a charge cooler is also quite heavy then there's the water ect....

i thought about rear seat delete too, but then i want to hide all my induction stuff for sleeper ness....

what weighs less, discs or drums is another thing to think about?

sometimes weight comes at a cost of comfort and noise, depends what you can tolerate
madmike

Post by madmike »

disc on the front drums out back :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

I would like to put disk brakes on mine. It already will lock the tires up pretty easy though. I just wonder each time if they are going to work!
And I won't go crazy with lightening mine. Might do fiberglass hood and decklid though. I will keep weight in mind though. I'd like to get some 6.5" wheels for the back so I can get some bigger meats on it though. I have empi 5 spokes on it now.
No way I would pull my rear seat either. It's a mess of wires under there!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Man I really don't like when they have the big events here. Got the Daytona 500 this weekend. But it's freakin awesome to walk outside and see the Airforce Thunderbirds doing the flying stuff in bad ass jets. Hummmm. Jet engines...
buguy

Post by buguy »

MarioVelotta wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:16 am Idle at 30 degrees. Just close the throttle plate. Use the Idle VE and ignition tables to your advantage. It won't hurt anything and as soon as you touch the throttle the ECU will switch back the main tables.

That is the give and take of small turbo and a small cam. It sounds like you have an engle 110ish cam now? The 110 should pull you to 6500 so your turbo is too small. Plotting 28psi onto the compressor map at 5800, as you can see it's out of the efficiency zone. It's under 60% efficient out there, that's a lot oh added head. You should throw in an additional temp sensor pre intercooler to watch the temps coming out of the turbo.

2020-02-03 09.07.38.jpg
So I've been looking at alternative turbos that might be fun to try on my engine. According to this map Mario did for me, it's not easy to find something that would work. Unless I can't use the line he created for any ole turbo. But if you look at where he plotted mine you can see that say, an HX30 wouldn't even come close to working.
Edit: well that didn't work. I guess I can't quote a pic and make it work!
Schweg

1600 turbo build thread

Post by Schweg »

If you engine would spin it it would support 500 hp with a 77% efficiency rating at 30 lbs of boost.

I think if your looking for similar spool and better flow then some ball bearing options would flow more and spool good but that’s a ton of cash.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

i need to learn how to read those!
too big or?
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah it's too big.
And I have read many different opinions on ball bearing vs journal bearing. To me, the verdict is still out. Really there is no way I can keep my spool and push more volume. I just don't think it works that way. Technology on turbos has come a long way, so it may be close, but something has to give.
Andy I think reading the map is the easy part. Figuring out those numbers that your engine makes is the hard part.
Schweg

1600 turbo build thread

Post by Schweg »

You could look at some variable vane options.

Or spool a big one with nitrous on a progressive controller.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah. Just have to see. I would want to build a different header before bolting on a new turbo. Mine is 1 3/8". I will probably do something soon. I don't know what yet... But something!
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

Or just buy a bigger turbo and build that stroker to spool it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well that is kind of the progression. Figure if somehow I end up getting a turbo that is too big, it's OK because it could just go on the stroker. No real loss.
Sometimes the sensible side of me kicks in and realizes I can't even use the power I have now 99% of the time... Why on earth would I build something else?!
If I had half a brain I would spend my time/money/energy trying to make what I have the best it can be. COP/CNP, sequential, maybe an air valve.. Etc..
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

Being sensible isn’t all that fun. But yeah I need tires, suspension and breaks way more then I need more power. Though all I care about is making more power. And getting swapped over to e85.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Me too brother! Did you put a Flex fuel sensor on? Mine was pretty seamless.