ragtop kit?

Need help installing a stereo or other interior item? Come on in!
spootman

ragtop kit?

Post by spootman »

I"ve posted a similar question before, but can anybody recommend a pullback ragtop kit to go on my '74 bug? There are really no roof clips to be found in new england, at least for a reasonable price. Also, can i put early steel fenders on my late bug?
spootman

ragtop kit?

Post by spootman »

One more thing. I have heard of some bad ragtop kits, but specificaly I am wondering about the quality of paris beetles ragtop kits, located in the UK. http://www.parisbeetles.co.uk/Page_3x.htm
mikeb

ragtop kit?

Post by mikeb »

Can't say anything good or bad about the Paris kits. If it were me, I'd keep looking. Check all the on-line sources. They can be shipped via UPS, so you can look outside of New England for a roof.

Yes, you can bolt on early fenders to a later car (non-super).
spootman

ragtop kit?

Post by spootman »

Does anyone know of any decent aftermarket ragtop kits? Help would be appreciated.
Glowing Veggieburger

ragtop kit?

Post by Glowing Veggieburger »

Paris ones aren't the best.

I spoke to the people that made the OE ones at the motorshow, Britax. They are based in London and the guys said that they would still do one for a bug to order. I don't have contact details but it may be worth following up.

Yes you can fit early fenders but you will also want to change the front valance and bonnet for early style and probably fit a long valance and lid for the rear.
Floyd

ragtop kit?

Post by Floyd »

Spootman,
I have researched this topic to death!
ask them for a dealer in your area.
I going to buy the Beetle Swing sunroof.
It fits both early Beetle and the New Beetle.
http://www.street-beat.com/
also sells them.
I ordered a brochure and it looks very nice.
Paris Beetles- I contacted them, their attitude was, "our roofs work and don't leak, sorry no close up pictures, go find some old articles," in so many words.

If they want to sell their product, they are going to have do alot better to convience people theirs is worth buying.

You could always do the conversion with an early ragtop, but unless your experienced or know someone who is handy with a Mig Welder,
I would not attempt it.
VW Trends June 1998 article explains how.

My 73 Super is all custom, so I'm not going for the authentic look anyway.
I will be buying my Sunroof conversion kit in few months, when I install, I'll post pics.
Good luck on your research.
Floyd.
spootman

ragtop kit?

Post by spootman »

Thanks for your help. I also am building a custom bug, so looking original really doesn't matter. I have not heard great things about street beat customs though. Anyway, I'll contact the other company.
Floyd

ragtop kit?

Post by Floyd »

Street Beat carries the Beetle Swing model which is made by Skylite Sunroofs (Inalfa Sunroofs). It is a new style.

I'm going try and buy mine through a local dealer, if they are to high in price, I'll order it through Steet-Beat.

SB makes their own version as well and I beleive that is the style everyone refers to as being of marginal quality.

Floyd.

[This message has been edited by Floyd (edited 09-13-2001).]
spootman

ragtop kit?

Post by spootman »

Another thought: anyone know of any good non-canvas sunroofs for a beetle. Maybe a spoiler sunroof, glass or metal? I've wondered if maybe any modern cars have a stock sunroof that works with the beetle roofline... Any ideas?
mikeb

ragtop kit?

Post by mikeb »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spootman:
Another thought: anyone know of any good non-canvas sunroofs for a beetle. Maybe a spoiler sunroof, glass or metal? I've wondered if maybe any modern cars have a stock sunroof that works with the beetle roofline... Any ideas?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's going to be hard to get one to seal the compound curved structure of the beetle roof. That, in part, is why a lot of the 'one size fits all' aftermarket kits leak.
spootman

ragtop kit?

Post by spootman »

hmm. Any companies make an aftermarket solid bug sunroof? Never found any..
mikeb

ragtop kit?

Post by mikeb »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spootman:
hmm. Any companies make an aftermarket solid bug sunroof? Never found any..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could probably go to an 'auto trim' shop-you know the ones that do tinting, graphics, etc. They may be able to set you up. Again I think you're going to run into the flat vs. curved roof issues, but most of these shops offer power roofs, which would be awesome.
V8Nate

Re: ragtop kit?

Post by V8Nate »

I know this is a super old thread but is anyone still looking for an aftermarket ragtop kit that is a good one? If so I've got the answer for ya
VDubAction

Post by VDubAction »

V8Nate wrote:I know this is a super old thread but is anyone still looking for an aftermarket ragtop kit that is a good one? If so I've got the answer for ya
Yeah just joined what’s the scoop?
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

I purchased a sliding rag kit out of Brazil and it turned out pretty sweet. I've never opened or been in a real rag but compared to a street beat kit it's the cats meow! If you look up "aftermarket ragtop" on thesamba.com you can see the write up ImageImageImageImageImage