Mexican 1600i Imobiliser

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
JWT6

Mexican 1600i Imobiliser

Post by JWT6 »

Hi there wonder if anyone can help

I have a 1995 Mexican beetle 1600i
It has the key plate alarm/immobiliser in the front driver side wing (no key fob type physical key)

while changing the aerial I have accidentally upset the rear of this connection on the inner wing.

I have never used the alarm and have never paid attention to how the wire was attatched up until now,

I don’t know if I have knocked the rear plate off the inside of the key part or if it was simply wedged against it but now the alarm and immobiliser are jammed on and car won’t start.

Is there an easy way to bypass this system? Or can anyone send me pics of what the inside should look like and how it is attatched so at least I know what part is missing?

Have attatched some pics to hopefully explain better

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbeck

Re: Mexican 1600i Imobiliser

Post by cbeck »

Switch looks pretty simple. Either normally closed or normally open. So isolate the 2 wires and try to start. If that doesn't work, twist the wires together and try to start again.
JWT6

Post by JWT6 »

I managed to get it to start simply by removing the connector and twisting the wires together and taping to the key plate,

car has been starting and running fine for the rest of the week however I have just driven the car in the rain a short distance to the pharmacy and as I pulled up (I had indicators and windscreen wipers turned on) the car cut out and will now not restart.

Could this be an earthing issue due to the car being wet? Or could this be because it has shorted due to multiple electronics being in action. This week I have not driven at night or used headlights or wipers or stereo etc. Only indicators.
Kafer_Mike

Post by Kafer_Mike »

JWT6 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:40 am I managed to get it to start simply by removing the connector and twisting the wires together and taping to the key plate
If it ran with the wires twisted, it's likely a "earthing" (grounding) issue. I'm assuming the switch portion of the key plate is isolated. If the wires are making contact with the outer casing of the key plate, it may be grounding to the body. Try twisting and taping the wires by themself where the are not touching anything, then try starting the car and testing your headlights/wipers/stereo. If still not working, check the fuses for those items.