Been a long time, resurrecting the bus

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Sneaks

Re: Been a long time, resurrecting the bus

Post by Sneaks »

This weekend's project will be a poor man's Dakota Digital CHT.

Gauge: $13
k type extension (25'): $9
k type connector: $6
k type thermocouple with 14mm ring: $9
Total: $49
2048367.jpg
Did a bench test tonight. The meter will run off 4.5-48v so I hooked it up to 9v and got out the candy thermometer for comparison. Top number is temp at the gauge (ambient temp) and bottom is the sensor. First in a cup of water with 3 ice cubes after the cup sat for 10 minutes to stabilize. Slight variation but the kitchen probe was resting in one of the cubes.
2048488.jpg
2048489.jpg
Then in a saucepan of boiling water.

208.3F, excuse the condensation, it is 208, not 203
2048490.jpg
2048491.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ninelives17

Post by ninelives17 »

Seems reasonably accurate to me, not a bad price either.
Dougstr

Post by Dougstr »

Nice project! I think you may have just inspired me to make a call about a couple of buses parked in a guy's yard.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Dougstr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:00 am Nice project! I think you may have just inspired me to make a call about a couple of buses parked in a guy's yard.
And so it begins.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Leatherneck wrote:
Dougstr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:00 am Nice project! I think you may have just inspired me to make a call about a couple of buses parked in a guy's yard.
And so it begins.
Lol, let the games begin!

Waiting on annual bonus next week to wrap up stuff so can get it tagged and hit the trails. Got solar installed w/monitoring for house and starter systems, master kill switch for house system to not kill battery when sitting for extended periods unused. Using DTDP switches I can check load or input on either by reversing polarity of the leads from the shunts. $90 total for gauges, panel, switches, wire, and controller. Will finish wiring up winch this week. Got a set of Achilles Desert Hawk MTs coming to replace the ancient BFGs. Wish they still made the BFGs in 14”:(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Leatherneck wrote:
And so it begins.
Lol, let the games begin!

Waiting on annual bonus next week to wrap up stuff so can get it tagged and hit the trails. Got solar installed w/monitoring for house and starter systems, master kill switch for house system to not kill battery when sitting for extended periods unused. Using DTDP switches I can check load or input on either by reversing polarity of the leads from the shunts. $90 total for gauges, panel, switches, wire, and controller. Will finish wiring up winch this week. Got a set of Achilles Desert Hawk MTs coming to replace the ancient BFGs. Wish they still made the BFGs in 14”:(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ninelives17

Post by ninelives17 »

That is fancy, great looking work.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Getting closer. New shoes:
unnamed (5).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
New anti-bouncy-bounce:
unnameddfasdf.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

Nice looking tires Sneaks
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

FedEx lost my windshield so while trying to source another one, I finally wrapped up the last of my electrical upgrades. Final step is some wire organization, will plug away at that this week.

Gotta ditch the bracket in front of the fairlead so I can properly wind the cable. Switching solenoid and wireless control, wired up from battery to solenoid to winch with 0/2 cable.

Mounted and wired up some 27w LEDs front and rear on the rack, switched from the cab so I can select front, back or both.

When combined with 200w LED headlights and old school 100w incandescent auxiliary lights, throws some good daylight forward and back, plus good broad downward out the side windows without glare Smile

Back

Front (LED directional/parking lights as well)

LEDs for license light, stop, turn, parking)

Interior floor well light triggered off door switch or toggle

Still need to chase down no cold idle issue and GET MY DAMN WINDSHIELD!
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Been chasing (and never finding) no idle when cold and lean when warm since I got this thing. I knew I had a vacuum leak but could not figure it out. Then, I had one of those “duh, you’re an idiot” moments. I spent most of the day replacing swing arm bushing and cranking the right side up another half an inch, it had settled after my first adjustment. This thing has NEVER idled when cold. Never. I replaced all the vacuum lines, gaskets, intake boots, cleaned injectors, new seals, bypassed the TS2 with a potentiometer, all the right stuff. Every time I took stuff off, I carefully marked where everything was, took pics, and double checked when done. Sooooooo, my next item to check tomorrow was going to be the AAR. In prep, I started reading everything here on the subject. One thing bugged me...

What’s wrong with this picture?
Where’s the feed hose?
F**k
Looked on Ratwell.
Went outside with flashlight and looked at the routing.
Looked closer. Looked around. Why is the charcoal canister hose disappearing up the vent above the battery???
Sometime in its past, someone ziptied the charcoal hose up the chimney. Guess where the feed line for the AAR is?
Yup.
Goes from the s-boot to to the EEG.
I think I might have found my vacuum leak...Well, what do you know, if you have the hoses routed CORRECTLY, it runs much better:). Now it idles smoothly as long as I want. Checked dwell, 47.7. Timing set. Battery isolator hooked up and working correctly. Brakes bled, ebrake adjusted. Just need tags and I’m on the road!

Got this for my 8th birthday in 1974. Tuned it up and it fired right off. Something satisfying about a rugged, simple, and reliable tool Smile.

25.5 degrees out back, just the right lift I think. Cannot wait time get tagged and rolling.

doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I like it! Very old school with some modern twists.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

i have same Coleman stove. Had it a long time. Still works like day 1. Still easy to get parts. Wish everything was like that.
ninelives17

Post by ninelives17 »

Great looking Bus, sounds like you are heading for a lot of fun memories!
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

Glad to see you almost back on the road in a VW
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)