Type 141 with "Porsche system"

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Herselmann

Type 141 with "Porsche system"

Post by Herselmann »

Hi new guy here.

So I've found some very interesting stuff on here whilst searching but can't seem to get an answer for my question:

how many type 141 were made with a chromed Porsche engine? This was factory as it has a chrome lettering emblem on the back with the letters "Porsche system"

I can find no info on this in any literature or on any sales brochures that I could lay my hands on. The build date on the manufacturer's plate was not filled in so I have no official date of manufacture to work from.

Any information would be welcome!
sideshow

Re: Type 141 with "Porsche system"

Post by sideshow »

When I think of type 141, I think karmann sedans, left hand drive.

Can you post a sample of what the hell you are talking about?
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Herselmann

Post by Herselmann »

Don't have a pic right now, but yes, Left-hand, convertible but with chromed Porsche power plant, straight from factory not some later retrofitted upgrade. Can't find any other like this and also no reference in any literature I've seen. Makes me think it is somewhat of a rarity or some very special order?
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

If want answer, post pic, please. Car and engine.
Herselmann

Post by Herselmann »

Can't get to it now, but it looks like a normal 141, engine a four banger Porsche boxer with twin down draft, and in chrome. Like I said it left the factory this way as it has been like this for more than 45years.
Herselmann

Post by Herselmann »

Forgot to add, the engine will fit straight into a beetle without modifications so that might narrow down exactly which Porsche engine it is.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I don't think any of us know what a 141 is. You may have to refer to it by name. Thing, Ghia, Bus? What are you working on? When you say Porsche engine do you mean the type 4 like found in a bus/411?
Herselmann

Post by Herselmann »

Type 141: Karmann Ghia Left-hand drive convertible.

I'm not sure which Porsche engine it is, I always assumed it was a higher end Ghia, but when researching I can not find any other. I has another chrome badge at the back which reads: "Porsche system"

It would appear the 356 engine should fit so it might be what is in there. I'll try and have a look next time I'm with the car if possible. Where would the engine number be located?

They main question is how many of these were ever made? Specs?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Photos will tell the story best, next time you are there. What year is it?
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

More than 100 members have viewed this now and none seem to have any idea yet. I have never seen any classic vw with factory chrome tin. I have never seen any KG with a factory porsche engine. Just got to have more info. It seems unlikely to me that you have a factory "one off". But stranger things have happened.
Herselmann

Post by Herselmann »

The year portion of the makers plate is not stamped so no idea!

It was bought second hand in about 1966 but looks to be like an early '60s model, still has reserve fuel tap.

The fact that it has the Porsche system badge on the hood points to factory as I can't believe that they had these badges lying around back then for retro fitment.

Will see what I can do for pics, it is not in show condition and in a very cramped storage space.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Let me get this straight. You are 100% certain it came from the factory with this odd engine, but you don't even know what year the car is?

Pictures or it didn't happen.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Three weeks later.
I guess it didn't happen.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Really as simple as an aftermarket engine with a Porsche badge someone screwed on, I think. It is really interesting, if true, that VIN plate doesn't have a date. Only one I've ever heard of.