"Devil Bug?" - EFI turbo build, advice needed!

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
villemil

"Devil Bug?" - EFI turbo build, advice needed!

Post by villemil »

Hi again. I have been away for a while since I lost all the interest towards my bug since the engine had a pretty bad failure.
Well now I have "recovered" from it and took the engine apart today and it wasn't that bad afterall. I can still use everything exept the flywheel, crankshaft and rods.

So what this EFI turbo build plan all about?
I came across Speeduino ECU and really want to give it a try since it is open source and pretty cheap too! I can get the ECU and basic wiring kit for around 300€!

I kinda have a plan what I want to do...
So I wanna know if I could just buy new rods (H-beam?) and let's say 74mm crankshaft and use my pistons and barrels from my last 69x87mm engine?
Also want to know what would be the most cost effective way to do the intake, maybe DIY single throttlebody? Just mod my current intake ends that go on top of the heads for injectors?

Really any advice will be welcome for my new journey with my bug :)

Also need name suggestions for this little beast haha :D Devil Bug?, The Punisher? (kinda lame imo)... Post your suggestion!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-63 bug
-72 1641cc turbo bug RIP
villemil

Re: "Devil Bug?" - EFI turbo build, advice needed!

Post by villemil »

Also here is a throwback from this summer when this thing was still good and running :D

VW BUG 1641cc TURBO BURNOUT
-63 bug
-72 1641cc turbo bug RIP
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hey Ville, why not go with a 78 X 92 thick wall ? I sure u could find someone to bore the cylinder holes and it is not that much of a Pain to clearance the case :wink: That will fit your 'Driving style' :lol:
villemil

Post by villemil »

madmike wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:27 am Hey Ville, why not go with a 78 X 92 thick wall ? I sure u could find someone to bore the cylinder holes and it is not that much of a Pain to clearance the case :wink: That will fit your 'Driving style' :lol:
Well currently I got that 87mm cylinder kit and I would prefer to use that and use my money towards the car itself like interior and suspension/brakes :)
-63 bug
-72 1641cc turbo bug RIP
DRED

Post by DRED »

hello villemil,

74x88, why not..

but 74 or 78 are very close in price and the gain with a 78mm is very significant...even with the 74mm you will need to clearance the case.

if you really want to keep your 87mm kit, even with a 74mm you will need to shorter/clearance piston skirts..stroker cylinder/piston kits are way more practical with their piston heigh

if you build on a budget i would try to find a good deal on guenine oem VW crank and 200mm flywheel keep my money for later to build a stroker engine like a 78x92 or 78x94.. CB Unitech rods are a good value for money, and modified OEM VW intake with a single throttle are also a good way to go for sure.

we have a pretty similar story, i left my VW in the garage 7 years ago for a broken camshaft on the 1600cc turbo injection.. i started 2 month ago the building of a 78x92 still with turbo and injection but i have been collecting parts during these 7 years...(and i help my 2 children grawing..:-).. i also have ATS classic wheels on the car (7x15 and 5.5x15 et34)
madmike

Post by madmike »

87 are might 'thin' cylinders :wink: just saying
villemil

Post by villemil »

Maybe I should just get balance welded OEM VW crank and some beefier rods.
I was thinking on going the budget route again so not going to build a stroker right now.
Also thank you DRED for your message :) Nice that someone else has ATS wheels too :D There aren’t a lot of bugs running them.
-63 bug
-72 1641cc turbo bug RIP
villemil

Post by villemil »

Planning an air intake for 600x300mm intercooler. Mounting it inside the car to the firewall, will make a box for it and add 2x 300mm fans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-63 bug
-72 1641cc turbo bug RIP
panel

Post by panel »

Running some NACA ducts in the side rear windows ?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
villemil

Post by villemil »

Nope, designing my own ducts and 3D priting them :)
-63 bug
-72 1641cc turbo bug RIP
panel

Post by panel »

Mounted where ?
villemil wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:40 am Nope, designing my own ducts and 3D priting them :)
villemil

Post by villemil »

Mounted to the polycarbonate window.
-63 bug
-72 1641cc turbo bug RIP
panel

Post by panel »

villemil wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:03 pm Mounted to the polycarbonate window.
Nice !