New guy, new build

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
chriswillrise

Re: New guy, new build

Post by chriswillrise »

Chip Birks wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:49 pm
chriswillrise wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:37 pm ok need some MS2/ TS help. I think I might have screwed myself a little building my ms. I used IAC1A for my second coil driver and IAC2A for my boost controller output. I wasn't thinking about what my dash tacho output would be so now I don't know where to get it. On TS it has the IAC1 and IAC2 options but not specifically A or B so idk if I can use them or not?

I am using the relay board if that makes any difference

any help is appreciated
Use the LEDs as your coil drivers. Not iacs
The leds are my inputs. The output of the 2 drivers are the ign output which is pin 36 iirc and the second driver I added the output is going to iac1a which was recommended by Mario.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

chriswillrise wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:59 pm
Chip Birks wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:49 pm
chriswillrise wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:37 pm ok need some MS2/ TS help. I think I might have screwed myself a little building my ms. I used IAC1A for my second coil driver and IAC2A for my boost controller output. I wasn't thinking about what my dash tacho output would be so now I don't know where to get it. On TS it has the IAC1 and IAC2 options but not specifically A or B so idk if I can use them or not?

I am using the relay board if that makes any difference

any help is appreciated
Use the LEDs as your coil drivers. Not iacs
The leds are my inputs. The output of the 2 drivers are the ign output which is pin 36 iirc and the second driver I added the output is going to iac1a which was recommended by Mario.
[/quoteImage
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The LEDs are the outputs. From the ecu to the drivers. The drivers are outputting to pin 36 and whatever pin is directly connected to the iac1a pin on the 37 pin header. There are also iac output pins elsewhere, those 4 pins next to the DB37 are not those. I you may want to look under the daughter card. THOSE are the ones that are being referred to by TS, it doesn't care what wire it's connected to in the harness, rather it cares which ecu pin you wire the output to.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Chip Birks wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:23 pm The LEDs are the outputs. From the ecu to the drivers. The drivers are outputting to pin 36 and whatever pin is directly connected to the iac1a pin on the 37 pin header. There are also iac output pins elsewhere, those 4 pins next to the DB37 are not those. I you may want to look under the daughter card. THOSE are the ones that are being referred to by TS, it doesn't care what wire it's connected to in the harness, rather it cares which ecu pin you wire the output to.
Yeah there are 4 jumper wires you need to run if you use a stepper iac. I don’t have those ran because I was using 2 of the outputs for the second coil and boost control.

So maybe I can just run the jumper that’s supposed to go to iac1b and that can be my tacho output? I just don’t know if it’ll work or not, I’m not good at this 😂

Could I run js0 to the open iac1b and sat the tach output in TS to iac1?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Yes, then just use whatever wire is attached to that pin in your harness to run the tach.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If memory serves the iacs can sink 12v, but they have internal clamping diodes to deal with switching coils, which is the opposite of what you need to feed a hv kickback spike to a tach... (newish tachs may just need a 5v squarewave, ymmv)

I have a ms2xt adapter available free if you want to add a ms3x for a ull set of outputs (supports full sequential etc)
You can do all the configuration/mods on the adapter, full sequential is built in if you desire, zero mods to mainboard, any version.
Almost everything is routed through the ms3x.

(my spare ms2e ecu is getting repurposed to an ms3+ms3x for an new motor in the vanagon, ez36 needs ~all the goesintas and goesoutas, I should probably buy a v3 mainboard one of these days)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

this might be a dumb question but does TS automatically know where the output for the second coil driver is?

there is only a spot in the ignition settings for spark A, no spark B.

spark A is from d14 and using pin 36 as an out
my spark b is coming from the top of the resistor for d16 which is what msextra guide said to do
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

post a zipped backup of your project, or at least an msq...
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Piledriver wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:35 am post a zipped backup of your project, or at least an msq...
Yeah I’ll post one up after work
The car hasn’t been started or anything I’m just trying to get it set up for a first start up
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Piledriver wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:35 am post a zipped backup of your project, or at least an msq...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

My 10 year old laptop decided to die last night I’m glad I put that file up yesterday 😂
buguy

Post by buguy »

Lucky timing!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Had to process this a bit, every setup I have built has been fully sequential, which means the I/O pins are basically all used and predefined for you with few choices left... sounds weird but that makes it simpler in some ways.

AFAICT spark A is off d14, Spark B is d16, Spark C is D15, E is from JS5, F from JS4, based on :
http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/sparkout-v30.html.

The only choice you get is for the first pin, everything else is hard coded, and d14 is the default, with few reasons to change it.
If you don't use them for spark outputs, they can be used for other things, some IIRC are inputs or outputs.

If you haven't selected a coil yet the ~2000ish new beetle 2L coil is logic drive and works great, and is not stupid expensive.
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Piledriver wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:58 am Had to process this a bit, every setup I have built has been fully sequential, which means the I/O pins are basically all used and predefined for you with few choices left... sounds weird but that makes it simpler in some ways.

AFAICT spark A is off d14, Spark B is d16, Spark C is D15, E is from JS5, F from JS4, based on :
http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/sparkout-v30.html.

The only choice you get is for the first pin, everything else is hard coded, and d14 is the default, with few reasons to change it.
If you don't use them for spark outputs, they can be used for other things, some IIRC are inputs or outputs.

If you haven't selected a coil yet the ~2000ish new beetle 2L coil is logic drive and works great, and is not stupid expensive.
I’ve got the dumb 4 post coil ign4. So I put my 2 coil drivers in the ecu. One put into the normal location and one coming off d16 so I think I’m good there!
chriswillrise

Post by chriswillrise »

Hopefully going to try and start it this week. I’ve got everything hooked up so I might give it a try if I get time!