I am in the process of putting together a dry sump system.
Engine is a 2.5L, 10:1CR 163/86b cam, dual spring heads. Fairly hot engine that I regularly use on the track. It is in a Porsche 912 and I want to go with front coolers.
Plan is to use CB Performance dry sump pump that I will modify as recommended by several on this forum to improve flow.
It seems that the scavenge side of the system would benefit from a tuna can sump. My understanding is that the scavenge side of the pump will keep the oil level in the engine sump at the level of the oil pick up. The tuna can would lower this point and maybe allow a higher ratio of oil to air. I would like to push more oil vs air to the front cooler. Does this make sense?
Scavenge will go to a wheel well mounted thermostat, up to the front cooler, then to the tank. Will feed the pressure side of the pump with -12 line, through the stock oil filter and into the galley. No plan now to send bypass back to the tank.
Next question. What to do with the case vents? No head vents on my set up.
Thanks, I appreciate any comments on my plan.
Dry sump questions
- Wally
- Posts: 4575
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Dry sump questions
The tuna can on a dry-sump set-up is a good idea imo.
I find the cam a little tame for a track engine of that size tbh.
I don't do 'feeding into the galley and just use the stock oil filter location and set-up of the type 4 engine.
I run my case vents (tower and ign hole) into a regular (big) alu case vent box. I actually use the ignition opening as a vent/return line (bottom of the crankcase vent box).
DS is really easy to plump actually and its all low pressure oil lines
I find the cam a little tame for a track engine of that size tbh.
I don't do 'feeding into the galley and just use the stock oil filter location and set-up of the type 4 engine.
I run my case vents (tower and ign hole) into a regular (big) alu case vent box. I actually use the ignition opening as a vent/return line (bottom of the crankcase vent box).
DS is really easy to plump actually and its all low pressure oil lines
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
-
Druck1
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:04 pm
Re: Dry sump questions
Thanks Wally
I installed the tuna can. My case vents are similar to your description as well.
I am building a custom oil tank now (just for fun and increase fab skills)
Will install after track season. Also thinking about going twin plug.
I installed the tuna can. My case vents are similar to your description as well.
I am building a custom oil tank now (just for fun and increase fab skills)
Will install after track season. Also thinking about going twin plug.