Daydream Engine Build (71x103) Will it work??

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
User avatar
nogoodwithusernames
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:00 pm

Daydream Engine Build (71x103) Will it work??

Post by nogoodwithusernames »

Seeing the big bore head thread over on TheSamba (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=755890) made me start thinking about engine builds again. I'm wanting to get my wife into a bug one of these days and my plan (excuse to build another motor) is a big T4 powerplant for it. Something she (read "I") can abuse a bit and won't need constant attention.

I've got a 2.0 short block laying around and that's about it, so building from the ground up. Got it for a great deal and figured I couldn't pass it up. ($150 for those interested, yes deals are still out there.)
I'd like to do a budget build when possible, used cylinders to be bored to size, that sort of thing.

Anyways on to the "build"

In my head I'm thinking:
-71mm crank (stock 2.0)
-102mm Deutz cylinders cut out to 103mm. Have the heads stepped per the thread above for minimal warpage and run slightly negative deck.
-AA 103x71 pistons
-Stock rods?
-Len Hoffman heads (no idea how to go about getting those since their site is super outdated, but that's a bridge to burn when we get to it.)
-Cam? Outside my pay grade, I went with a C25 on my 1.7l build and it's treated me pretty well so far. For a 2.3l? Not a clue, would like it to be mild and streetable though.
-911 adjusters on some 1.7 rockers if I can find a set.
-Type 1 lifters possibly? Not looking for 7k RPMs or anything so not sure if the costs outweigh the benefits there.
-Have a spare T4 crank trigger setup from Mario at the Dub Shop so would likely run MS-EFI for fuel and spark.
-Turbo? :twisted: Hehe, probably not, one thing at a time here. :roll:

Anyone done a 2366 before? How'd it run? Did it last?
What CR should I shoot for? Combustion chamber size? Valve size?

Heck if it works out to a reasonable combo I can probably start collecting parts as I find deals.
wreck
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 am

Re: Daydream Engine Build (71x103) Will it work??

Post by wreck »

use cheap 383 SBC pistons . Start at 4" , 101.6mm , with 100mm 912 cylinders . heaps of cheap good quality pistons available , it also gives you the option to bore the cylinders later with over size pistons , 4.020 _4.080 etc .
The C25 might be a light small for the displacement . Thorsten Pieper makes elephant foot adjusters for the 10mm thread , a quality item .
No matter where you go , there you are !
cal 67
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Daydream Engine Build (71x103) Will it work??

Post by cal 67 »

Cheapest method would just be to use EMW 103 liners. Done.

103x66s and 103x71s are common

I sell Pieper products here in the states. [email protected] is my email.
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Re: Daydream Engine Build (71x103) Will it work??

Post by Ephry73 »

I too had that dream of a nice 2,366 with efi and a DTM kit


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply