New California Registration

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
sacbob

New California Registration

Post by sacbob »

Hi All
I am the new owner of a 1973 Thing S# 1832840057. The Car was registered in Ca for most of its life. The Thing moved to Oregon in 2016. I went to Ca DMV yesterday. They claim to have NO records of this Thing in their database. They are requiring all new Info/Verifications. I paid all of the fees and went for a VIN Verification. The person was not at all familiar with a Thing. I showed him the front Vin plate. He wanted to see the Federal sticker. Being my 1st Thing he & I were clueless as to were it was. Finally I found a scratched up silver sticker inside between the driver & Passenger door. It is not readable. They are requiring me to get an inspection by the CHP. They are 30+ days out. They also say that a Federal Emission Label is required for ALL vehicles 1968 and newer. He had no idea where to look. Can anyone tell me where this Label is located and what it looks like. They say that with out these two labels I can NOT register in California. What can I do?? Ideas? I see that there are repro's of these labels but I don't want to get into "trouble". I do not know what month this Thing was manufactured. I need some help. Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks
Bob 916-955-8427
KBWAKESK8

Re: New California Registration

Post by KBWAKESK8 »

Take it to auto club I
:shock: :roll:
H2OSB

Re: New California Registration

Post by H2OSB »

That's all new to me. Perhaps because it's gone out of the system. I'm going to hit this wall when I get my '74 Super back on the road. I've never heard of the federal emissions sticker. CA is as strict as it gets in the States, and we are smog exempt on anything '75 or older.

Like KBWAKESK8 said above (at least, I THINK he meant) go to your local Triple A. At least you won't stand in line as long

H20SB