Buying a 1835 long block , how not to get burrned

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Aircooled_rhino

Buying a 1835 long block , how not to get burrned

Post by Aircooled_rhino »

I just spun a bearing or threw a rod last weekend in my 1776. Just took the motor out and starting to break it dow. I went online and looked for parts and for a long block of a different size and found a 1835. I'm interested in that motor but I wanna make sure that I'm not going to get burned on the back

I really need some advice and hopefully information Which will help me make the right decision And not get stuck with a piece of crap.

I look forward to hearing what people have to say and will take a lot of it in account thank you.
slayer61

Re: Buying a 1835 long block , how not to get burrned

Post by slayer61 »

Is the 1835 you're looking at complete? From a private party? Or from a shop? If it's complete a run test would be in order or a compression check at the very least. Good luck to you Sir.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Where are you located? and what is the engine going to be used for?
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
OrangeCrusher

Post by OrangeCrusher »

I've had experience with 1835's and all I can add is make sure you get thick walled cylinders or better yet, stay away from 92mm and just get a stroked 90.5. That's what I'm currently working towards. I had a 1835 for years and it would last about three years before needing to be rebuilt again. It'd just keep losing compression to the point that it was worrying. Worrying because it would keep running, but it never ran right. I had a lot of blow-bye too. I had thin walls so my case is bored for 90.5 and that's what I'm going with this time.90.5x82mm- 2110cc. Everybody seems to have nothing but good things to say about that size so I'm optimistic. Of course, everything I said depends on how well the motor is built to begin with.
woodsbuggy
1970 Baja