1303 Airdam

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
H2OSB

1303 Airdam

Post by H2OSB »

Since no one seems to be posting, I'll start a thread.

Has anyone ever mounted or seen mounted a duckbill spoiler from a VW Mk1/Rabbit onto a 1303 chin?

I've seen the shorter version mounted, and Wally said he actually had one mounted, but said it was pretty ineffective at keeping air from going under the car.

The Duckbill is twice as deep as the shorter one, so, potentially, more effective. I found a vendor here in the States who specializes in Mk1 products. He makes a polyurethane one piece Duckbill, and believes it has more than enough flexibility to make the slightly more exaggerated curve of the 1303 chin.

H2OSB
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants. :wink:
Ian Godfrey

Re: 1303 Airdam

Post by Ian Godfrey »

no I haven't, are you thinking mounted to the body or the bumper?
Also I was thinking that or something similar might fit the Ghia shape as well?
Do you have a link to the polyurethane one.
I also thought about a Kamei spoiler mounted to the body instead of the bumper, would that work on a 1303 to get the spoiler lower?
There is also the S type early Porsche spoiler that might integrate into the bumper of a 1303 or ghia?
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Though I'm aware the Kamei spoiler is documented to be very effective at keeping air from going under the car and improving stability at highway speeds, I've never, personally, like the look of the bumper attachment.

This is the guy I was referring to https://vwmk1man.com/

I found him by searching for one piece Duckbill spoilers. Most of the ones available are two piece with a vertical joint at the centerline. My thinking is the addition curvature of the Super chin would cause that joint to pull apart. I could be totally wrong, as I've never had one of those spoilers in hand. In all honesty, the difference in curvature is not that great between a Rabbit and 1303. Seems even less so between Rabbit and Ghia.

I got the entire idea from a pic of a 1303 track car with the shorter Rabbit spoiler attached, on the SuperBeetles Only! Facebook page. Then somehow I got to talking to Wally, who said he tried one and found it made no difference in stability. He admitted he'd not tried a Duckbill, or even thought to try it.

Oh, and btw, my intent was to mount the thing along the bottom edge of the front valance below the "grill", though the vent may have to be partially covered because the vent goes nearly to the bottom of the valance.

H2OSB
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants. :wink:
Ian Godfrey

Post by Ian Godfrey »

Thanks for that link, the design looks much better than the 2 piece ones. Also I think the polyurethane might be a bit more forgiving where it will follow the contours of the front valance, also a bit more forgiving if it hits the track!