Do the #s after AV mean anything?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
74REALTHING

Do the #s after AV mean anything?

Post by 74REALTHING »

My transaxlele is stamped AV 60 113 and below those #s are 113 381 103L
Do the #s after AV mean anything and what is 113 381 103L?

1974 Thing build 06/74
Casting Timmy

Re: Do the #s after AV mean anything?

Post by Casting Timmy »

Trying to get my morning caffiene in......I'd double check the 60 113.....usually more like DD MM Y - day month last digit of year. (European style date)

The 113 381 103L is the part number for the main case of the transaxle. All the castings on teh outside will have a similar format number for that individual part of the transaxle. The AV is the part number for the whole thing and then behind it you have a date code.

60?? Might have to check through the crust on this one 11=Nov 3=1973
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Casting Timmy wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:07 am Trying to get my morning caffiene in......I'd double check the 60 113.....usually more like DD MM Y - day month last digit of year. (European style date)

The 113 381 103L is the part number for the main case of the transaxle. All the castings on teh outside will have a similar format number for that individual part of the transaxle. The AV is the part number for the whole thing and then behind it you have a date code.

60?? Might have to check through the crust on this one 11=Nov 3=1973
Castings (the case or various parts of the case) usually have the part number either casted in as part of the casting or have a smooth area ground down for the P/N to be stamped in. The ASSY number can be located several ways even via tags on completed assy. Internal parts (gear ratios for example) make the ASSY different.

The manufactured date isn't aways that common seen but the reason for having one would most likely there for importance. An upgraded design or materials might be the answer.

I never worked adding a date or something like that. Usually... the part number would be changed (rolled) which the casting date could be, e.g., maybe the date does off-set a part number change. Hmmmm!

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Still thinking about this and I wonder... just wonder, if the case was re-machined (on a rebuild), and the date done stamped on the case. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Lee