My Hebster52

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
Hebster

Post by Hebster »

Hi Kiwi 1! Looks good even side tracked... :wink:

Is it all steel too?

Post by Guest »

Hi Hebster, the engine cover is fibreglass (mold made from both engine cover and bonnet) the rest is all steel. Floor pan is '70, body is '67 (flat screen - made chopping easier). Engine is 1640. Next Project is '57 Kombi. Cheers
Hebster

Post by Hebster »

Long time since I had any updates...

Well, here is some that I have done this past summer. Started to shape the rear decklid parts some. The split W-decklid have been cut some and I have now made the KdF style licenceplate embossment on it.

The reason why I have not been working too much on the Hebster this summer is that I started to build a scaled down Volksrod for my kid, "The KidVRod"...

Here is how it looks for now... :wink:
CLM

Post by CLM »

You have talent sir, that mini v-rod rocks and I can't wait to see the hebster when it's done :)

One thing you might want to look at before progressing too far on the hebster though, alot of heb replicas seem to make the engine lit a bit too short making the back look very flat. original hebs have a little extra length or so I've seen in the corners of the opening.

Compare the corners of
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/262144.jpg
and your
http://fvwa.sitefactory.fi/data/3604.jpg

I think just adding a section to each side of the cowl then splitting the corners of the donar hood and extending them would be enough to match it. I'm not sure exactly how to fabricate it as I'm not yet at that point of my project (still collecting parts and building the upright conversion for my type 4 ;) ) From my research it seems the center of the cowl is approximatly double the height of the body sides behind the door when looked at in profile giving a nice cupped look.

real http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/238179.jpg
flat rosenthal roadster http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/211931.jpg

This isn't criticism!! Looking at the micro volks rod I think you could make hebster 52 perfect! :)

Chris

P.S. you are one of the many people who inspired me to make a hebmuller inspired project.. Mine is going to be just a few years newer though... mmm late model super-hebmuller with type 4 and full auto done up as a psuedo factory restore.... O.o (I'm not crazy!! ok maybe I am....)
Hebster

Post by Hebster »

Thank you CLM for your constructive critisism. :wink:

But if yo look closer at my rear in this picture you see that the upper corners of the decklid goes higher up than on the real Hebs.

The reason for this is that I am building a replica of the first Hebmuller prototype built in early 1949.

The 3 first Heb prototypes made for Wolfsburg factory for roadtesting only were slightly differently designed than the final production roadsters.

Here you see the decklid of the Heb prototype number 1. The lower end of that one is from a KdF hardtop as the prototypes were built from -46 sedans. Including the popesnose and all.

As you can see the prototypes had the louvers on the decklid and not in the cowl between the decklid and cabrio top. Therefore the cowl area between the decklid and top also is different on the both.

The Rosenstiel was also originally built to be similar to the prototypes. I agree that the decklid on it looks slightly too flat, but they were quite flat on the prototypes. (or looked to be...)

The production decklid acctually ends on the top of the rearfenders and then curves up over the rear where as the prototypes go about 6 inches front of the rearfender top before curving up. :wink:

Here's one pic of the second prototype:

And the third.

The first proto had 4 louvers on each side of the decklid whereas the two following had 5 on each side...

And no offence taken. :D I will make the Hebster better than perfect. :wink:

BTW. Here is a picture of the pre-49 speedo restored I didn't want to restore the speedo face though...

Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Looks good, I can relate to slow progression myself. Seem to be getting sidetracked by other projects more & more but still manage to do bits & pieces here & there.
Took a few points from your project when planning mine, getting ready to chop the donor hood & start the new deck lid, seems like every time I turn around I get a new idea tho, it's a drag bein indecisive! :P
I dig all cars, whether old, new, hammered out of Japanese tin cans, American iron, or German steel.
Rides:
70 Volksrod "The Black Bomber"
12 Jetta 2.5
56 GMC 370 "Tater"
07 Avalanche
20 Cherokee Trialhawk
05' Harley FLHTCUI
Hebster

Post by Hebster »

Yes, I know what you mean... Also as I have been building our new house since 2001. (not finished yet)

Not to mention that I bought a T34 Ghia project last winter.. :lol:
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Yep, I seem to collect projects faster than I finish them, I shouldn't get this truck I have my eye on, but if I build it the way I want to, it will make a great daily driver AND I can use it to transport my car.
May be just an excuse I'm giving myself so I can justify buying the truck, but it sounds good to me. :D
CLM

Post by CLM »

Ahh in that case the hebster looks nearly perfect! I can't wait for your protoheb hestocustom to be done it should be supurb :)

Anyone else think that pedal heb strapped to the back of the third looks like a superbeetle nose? :wink:

Chris
Hebster

Re: My Hebster52

Post by Hebster »

I guess this will be the bump of the decade but this project have been collecting dust wY too long. Started some work in the decklid a month ago..

Parts mocked up over the jig.

This is as far as I've got so far...