LESSONS LEARNED

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
FJCamper

LESSONS LEARNED

Post by FJCamper »

LESSONS LEARNED

Racing teaches you a lot about parts quality, marketing hype, and use vs application. Here’s our take from NOLO.

1. Dual Weber 40IDF’s use twice as much fuel racing than dual “Kadron” Solex 40-44 EIS set up very similarly. That means 40mm throttle bodies, main jet sizes, and venturi diameters. In Lemons, running 94x78 (2165cc) engines, 44mm throttle bodies, and 34mm venturis, our SuperBug used about 5 gallons of fuel per hour.

At NOLO our 40IDF Webers, with 40mm throttle bodies, 36mm venturis, on a 1.7 liter (85.5x74) engine drank 3 or more gallons per half hour under wide open throttle.

2. Sprint racing is much easier on brakes than enduros. SVRA rules makes us run rear drum brakes on 53. We do have our cross-drilled front disks on stock VARGA calipers using Porterfield pads but only stock rear brake drums with local part house “metallic” shoes. That’s brake shoes with 30% or more metal particles sintered in them. Barret reports no apparent loss of braking, pulling, or scary behavior compared to the stock VARGA calipers we were using in HSR.

The asset of rear disks is quicker and easier service. Actually our rear drum road racing experience goes back to our IMSA Super Bug in 1976-78, where all we did was drill cooling holes in the brake backing plates, and had some “heavy duty” NASCAR lining material riveted to our VW shoes. Never wore them out.

3. Last is those incredible, cheap Indonesian-made Forceum Hena tires. Within the context of a sprint race, they were excellent. We had no rain to content with, but a fully treaded street tire should have worked as well as any of the so-called rain tires. A Hoosier Speedster our size is $250. A Forceum is about $70. We don’t know how long they last, but they do handle.
H2OSB

Re: LESSONS LEARNED

Post by H2OSB »

Great lessons to pass along!

H2OSB
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants. :wink:
65Slick

Post by 65Slick »

I've been reading your posts, trying to get our 65 Ghia ready for some auto cross, just for fun. What size Forceum tires are you running and where do you get them?

Thanks!
Marty
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Wow, amazing price! I wish they had other usable sizes (for ME) BUT I might be willing to run 185 60s just for that crazy low price.

I've always been a "15s on a Beetle" type of guy, but have been looking at 16s for the more available tire sizes as I plan the autocross set up of my Super, but wow, that's an incredible price.

H2OSB
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants. :wink:
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

The purpose of larger diameter wheels is to provide for larger diameter brakes.

In the case of autocross, you want the smallest wheel you can run as it is an acceleration booster. 13's are better than 15's. As road racers, we need a larger wheel for better top end.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Well, I cannot go below 15s to clear my brakes (Porsche 944 rears, CSP vented discs in the front). I've suggested Porsche 924 brakes in the past for the very reason 14 inch wheels would be an option.

That said, I'll be running in a street tire class, so minimum 200 UTQG. I've kinda settled on 300 treadwear as a good compromise between grip and longevity (I can really only afford one set of tires per season.). My car also doubles as a street car, so I really need to get somewhere close to stock rolling diameter. Beetles being pretty gentle on tires, in my experience autocrossing, again, 300 seems to be the best goal. The trouble is, finding a 15 inch tire in ultra summer guise, in the correct size is close to impossible or with very limited options.

On my current, staggered set (15x5.5, et42 steel wheels), I have 185/65s on the front and 205/60s on the rear. Ultimately, I'll run my set of 15x5.5, et30 Porsche alloy space saver spares (the red, 15 inch ones. About 12 lbs per wheel) with 205/60 tires f&r. That's my desire, anyway. BUUT, I'm liking those 185/60 you found. They're 200 TW, so as sticky as I can get, but cheap enough I could buy a second set if I wear them out. 185/60 is quite a bit shorter that stock, however...like 1.69 inches.

I only considered 16s for the better fitment. 205/55/16 is the same rolling diameter as stock. Also, there are TONs of tire choices in that size. I don't even have any 16 inch wheels, though.

H2OSB
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

I run 16” and have to, to clear the boxster front rotors/calipers. 16x6”et50 all round which are boxster fronts. Use 205x55r16 tyres which are roughly stock OD and with plenty of options/ price points. Road car though & the steering angle limit is poor.