Shadek 30mm for type 4
-
GARRICK.CLARK1
- Posts: 465
- Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 am
Shadek 30mm for type 4
Hi Guys I'm going to upgrade to a 30 mm shadek pump. I have full flow like a type 1, and don't think the 24 mm standard one is good enough.
So which of the shadek pumps in a 30mm is the one to purchase. Thanks
So which of the shadek pumps in a 30mm is the one to purchase. Thanks
-
wreck
- Posts: 512
- Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
Get in touch with Jorge from EMW in California , (he prefers phone calls) , he has pump bodies that are sleeved to the correct diameter . It is the best solution . When I built my engine , I made a spacer out of 1.5mm aluminium , then clearanced it for the cam bolts etc . it was still loosy goosy in the case , so used ultra grey and fitted it when I put the case halves together , then made sure no rtv was in the oil passages . pain in the rear.
No matter where you go , there you are !
-
GARRICK.CLARK1
- Posts: 465
- Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
I have emailed them a few times. No reply. So saying he likes phone calls explains it. A think, with shipping I could possibly just get the one vw heritage sells. Albeit a 26mm one from CB. Two which, is a shadeck. But is it a good fit in the case.
Thanks
Thanks
-
GARRICK.CLARK1
- Posts: 465
- Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
You are correct though, the general concensus is that the pumps are slightly too small. Some are wrapping the body with aluminum tape and cutting holes for the oil inlet and oil output. Not sure I like that idea.
- Kafer_Mike
- Posts: 503
- Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:01 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
FYI. Not sure what Charles does to them -- LN Engineering 30mm Full Flow Oil Pump
"Build 'em fast...or let 'em sit"
-
'77 Westy
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:15 pm
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
I wrapped my 26mm Shadeck with aluminium tape for the 2316cc a few years ago, no problems so far. What’s not to like?
-
GARRICK.CLARK1
- Posts: 465
- Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
It just sounds like a bodge, but if it works. Then that's good.
Looking at my type 4 pump. I might yet just strip it down and do a rebuild on it. There's no wear on the gears, and has been fine in the past.
The cooler pipes will be shorter this time round too. So perhaps a 26mm isn't needed.
Looking at my type 4 pump. I might yet just strip it down and do a rebuild on it. There's no wear on the gears, and has been fine in the past.
The cooler pipes will be shorter this time round too. So perhaps a 26mm isn't needed.
- Kafer_Mike
- Posts: 503
- Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:01 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
O-ring it?GARRICK.CLARK1 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 10, 2026 5:28 am It just sounds like a bodge, but if it works. Then that's good.
Looking at my type 4 pump. I might yet just strip it down and do a rebuild on it. There's no wear on the gears, and has been fine in the past.
The cooler pipes will be shorter this time round too. So perhaps a 26mm isn't needed.
"Build 'em fast...or let 'em sit"
-
GARRICK.CLARK1
- Posts: 465
- Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
Yeah, sounds a better idea.
-
GARRICK.CLARK1
- Posts: 465
- Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
OK. So I've bought a CB maxi 3.
I know I have to get some jobs done on it to work, but I've been reading what others have been saying, and have a plan.
The pump body, if undersize is going to get a sleave added to it.
The idler gear is going to have a new stepped one made also.
The advert says on CB site, says they have a stepped pin already. But I'm sure this is true. If the one I get has this, then that's a bonus, but 1w way or another, it'll get sorted.
I know I have to get some jobs done on it to work, but I've been reading what others have been saying, and have a plan.
The pump body, if undersize is going to get a sleave added to it.
The idler gear is going to have a new stepped one made also.
The advert says on CB site, says they have a stepped pin already. But I'm sure this is true. If the one I get has this, then that's a bonus, but 1w way or another, it'll get sorted.
-
GARRICK.CLARK1
- Posts: 465
- Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
OK. I've got a 4 rivet 26mm pump. I'm wondering if I can take 4mm off the pump boss to make the pump sit flat against the case. The pump doesn't owe me anything so it'll be an experiment.
The pin that locates into the cam, might need to be re worked.
I. E pushed further onto the gear.
Seams like hassle, but if it saves me buying a type 1 to type 4 converted pump. I'll have saved a bit of ££
The pin that locates into the cam, might need to be re worked.
I. E pushed further onto the gear.
Seams like hassle, but if it saves me buying a type 1 to type 4 converted pump. I'll have saved a bit of ££
-
Bruce.m
- Posts: 1070
- Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:44 pm
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
If you shorten the boss, i’d stake the boss around the pin to ensure it doesn’t move. Others would fit a cross pin but the pin is hard. I adapted a 4 rivet pump to fit a 3 rivet cam. Wasn’t too difficult
-
GARRICK.CLARK1
- Posts: 465
- Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
Good stuff. The main boss needs to be at least 5 mm shorter for it to sit flat on the case face, the idler pin needs around 2 mm. I'll try it,
-
wreck
- Posts: 512
- Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
most people start with a 3 bolt oil pump because there is less to remove to clearance the cam , you also need to make sure the oil passages are lined up as close as possible . The reason I made a 1.5mm spacer .
No matter where you go , there you are !
-
GARRICK.CLARK1
- Posts: 465
- Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:30 am
Re: Shadek 30mm for type 4
Was it absolutely essential to make the spacer. A 1.5 mm spacer. I take it, that's an extension of the pump body and goe's between 2 pump body to case gaskets, which also gives better alignment of pump oil gallery's.
I'm wanting to try this pump, because. It's a vw one, it's not cost owt, so hopefully, when the idler pin is worked on, it will be stronger than a new one. I could be wrong though.
I'm wanting to try this pump, because. It's a vw one, it's not cost owt, so hopefully, when the idler pin is worked on, it will be stronger than a new one. I could be wrong though.