My next drag beetle build.

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
User avatar
joosep
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by joosep »

joosep wrote: ↑Fri Mar 28, 2025 5:10 am Now the frame is 99% done :)
When I lifted it, I was worried because it seemed heavy, So I brougt my 2 bathroom scales and measured the weight.
The result was 140kg and 50:50 weight ratio. (138,7kg actually and front was 1kg heavier)
My last car was made of steel, that was thicker and was only 20kg heavier. I was hoping 30kg less weight but nothing to do. There are still more pipes and sheetmetal covers than my last car had. Also the endplate for connecting transmission was attached so the diffrece is atleast 25kg compared docol vs steel. Its still cheap place to lower the weight. That 25kg cost me about 1000€ (pipe material price difference) Later I´m sure, I can´t find a place where I can get so cheaply some weight off, its 50€ per 1kg, its good balance I quess.
Also you can see something new there: Anti roll bar, I made it from bmw axle, my last car had none of these.

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
joosep
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by joosep »

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
joosep
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by joosep »

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
joosep
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by joosep »

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 4058
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by Chip Birks »

😍
Beautiful work!
User avatar
joosep
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by joosep »

I finally found some time to put my engine together.
Had to hone barrels again, the spec was wrong. Also resurfaced the deck again and linehoned the block.
Tightened bottom studs to 130nm
CR is 8.4:1 (would like to go with 9-10 but adding boost would make it work :D
Used Stock saab wrist pins, wiseco pins looked too deam thin to me :S
I hope my girdle will work.


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
joosep
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by joosep »

I got some parts done. (fabrication and anodation)

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

This pics are actually a bit behind and this car has made its first sound already :S
User avatar
joosep
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by joosep »

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Chip Birks
Posts: 4058
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by Chip Birks »

That thing looks wild! Close to making passes?
User avatar
joosep
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by joosep »

Chip Birks wrote: ↑Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:01 am That thing looks wild! Close to making passes?
Thank you.
Winter is coming :( I´m making last things to get it properly running and mayge I´m able to get to dyno this year.
Just made a new pan under engine and trans, so it won´t cancel any run by a drop of oil to track. I got clutch and Gas lines done. Brakes and shifting stuff for next.

Image
Image
Image
Post Reply