It was a GRRRRRRRRRRRREEEAAAAAAAAT weekend.The Mazda Rotary in my Vert is running and boy does it sound strong.Been rushing around getting this thing to run.I bought the engine at a Wrecking Yard with a 90 day warranty that it would run and now it does.I've got the radiator sitting on blocks behind the engine,the new gas line is on the floor and I'm using a junkyard muffler.But its running.I'm so happy I had to share.Many things to do,install radiator in the front,run water and gas lines.Rewire the engine compartment.Find a good place for the oil cooler and the other thousand things to fabricate on a project like this.Anyone else having this much fun ?
------------------
72 SuperVert(Rotary engine conversion in process)
The Beast is Alive
- Stephen
- Posts: 130
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2000 12:01 am
The Beast is Alive
Jim,
Great to hear that your project is going so well
I thought that you may enjoy this link....this guy lives about 150km west of me...but he knows LOTS...as he has done this conversion before..
http://130.102.31.219/240z/Pages/PastVW.htm
Cheers Stephen
Great to hear that your project is going so well
I thought that you may enjoy this link....this guy lives about 150km west of me...but he knows LOTS...as he has done this conversion before..http://130.102.31.219/240z/Pages/PastVW.htm
Cheers Stephen
- Richard Olafsson
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 12:01 am
The Beast is Alive
Congratulations!
It's still fresh in my mind getting my Subaru engine running, next stage is driving it for you!
I have been driving mine around slowly until I can get the cambelt replaced this friday, then it's going down the drag strip on saturday!
Rich
PS Stephen, I tried that link with no luck!
It's still fresh in my mind getting my Subaru engine running, next stage is driving it for you!
I have been driving mine around slowly until I can get the cambelt replaced this friday, then it's going down the drag strip on saturday!
Rich
PS Stephen, I tried that link with no luck!
- Stephen
- Posts: 130
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2000 12:01 am
The Beast is Alive
Oooops sorry...I should have checked the link, and I also stuffed up...it wasn't a RX engine...but an old EA Subaru...oh well sorry 
If you want to check out the link its : http://www.usq.edu.au/users/degroot/240 ... t_proj.htm
also Richard let me know how your beast runs...
cheers Stephen

If you want to check out the link its : http://www.usq.edu.au/users/degroot/240 ... t_proj.htm
also Richard let me know how your beast runs...
cheers Stephen
- Richard Olafsson
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 12:01 am
The Beast is Alive
I've seen that link before, still worth pursuing any othes that might be out there!
My car is running pretty well. The problem at the moment is the thermostat, it doesn't open when it should, guys that put the Legacy engine into Vanagons say you need a bypass in the heater circuit by the engine so more flow goes past the 'stat which will then open. I'll try this soon, at the moment it is fine at speed, but warms up when you slow down! Revving at the lights brings the temp back down which is a strange concept.
I have also decided to go IRS, raise the engine/trans and fit an uprated 'box with more appropriate gearing. I was running 13s at the strip without burnouts, on crappy tyres and shifting very gently, it was struggling for grip all the way down the strip! I was also conserving the standard 1300 trans as I wanted to get home afterwards! There are MUCH better times achievable...
Rich http://www.ricola.co.uk
My car is running pretty well. The problem at the moment is the thermostat, it doesn't open when it should, guys that put the Legacy engine into Vanagons say you need a bypass in the heater circuit by the engine so more flow goes past the 'stat which will then open. I'll try this soon, at the moment it is fine at speed, but warms up when you slow down! Revving at the lights brings the temp back down which is a strange concept.
I have also decided to go IRS, raise the engine/trans and fit an uprated 'box with more appropriate gearing. I was running 13s at the strip without burnouts, on crappy tyres and shifting very gently, it was struggling for grip all the way down the strip! I was also conserving the standard 1300 trans as I wanted to get home afterwards! There are MUCH better times achievable...
Rich http://www.ricola.co.uk