rotary conversions &considerations
-
ootimoo
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2001 12:01 am
rotary conversions &considerations
All right help me clear up the rotary conversion. Is it really worth the time and effort to conver. Whats gained or lost. I want a set up that will pull hard in all gears,roast my tires at will. I would like to keep all my front sheet metal. What locations do you have to mount a radaitor, whale tail under the car, i'm confused. I'm also considering t4 power.
-
Jim Molloy
- Posts: 203
- Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2000 12:01 am
rotary conversions &considerations
I am right in the middle of this conversion.Putting a '81 12A rotary engine in a '72 Super vert.
Pluses=compact size,weighs only 50 lbs more than VW,fits under hood,120 or more stock horsepower,7000+ RPM redlilne,lots of parts suppliers.
Minuses=water cooling,if overheated needs overhaul,horsepower not torque.
Radiator placement in front with scoops from below or custom made radiators down by the transaxle.Cost was a factor for me.This conversion should cost about $2000 by the time its running down the road.Using a VW motor would run a lot higher than $2000 for 120 horsepower IMHO.So good luck and I am willing to answer any questions.
------------------
72 SuperVert(Rotary engine conversion in process)
Pluses=compact size,weighs only 50 lbs more than VW,fits under hood,120 or more stock horsepower,7000+ RPM redlilne,lots of parts suppliers.
Minuses=water cooling,if overheated needs overhaul,horsepower not torque.
Radiator placement in front with scoops from below or custom made radiators down by the transaxle.Cost was a factor for me.This conversion should cost about $2000 by the time its running down the road.Using a VW motor would run a lot higher than $2000 for 120 horsepower IMHO.So good luck and I am willing to answer any questions.
------------------
72 SuperVert(Rotary engine conversion in process)
- danielmcaulay
- Posts: 369
- Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 12:01 am
rotary conversions &considerations
Does any body know if it is possible to mount the radiator in the top of a whale tail,and would it have enough cooling.
-
sventek
- Posts: 93
- Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2001 12:01 am
rotary conversions &considerations
why the hell would anyone put a whale tail on in the first place, be original, dont follow the herd.....dang thats ugly!!1
- Richard Olafsson
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 12:01 am
rotary conversions &considerations
I know of a guy building a Baja bug with the rad in the whaletail, don't think it's running or proven yet though. I can't remember which engine he is using, I think it's a 2.2 inline 4 turbo of common US origin. A search might bring his web page up.
Assuming Porsche get their intercoolers cool efficiently, I guess you could do the same with a radiator.
Rich http://www.ricola.co.uk
Rich
Assuming Porsche get their intercoolers cool efficiently, I guess you could do the same with a radiator.
Rich http://www.ricola.co.uk
Rich