Raising a THING

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
type2guy

Raising a THING

Post by type2guy »

I'm thinking about raising my wife's THING a bit. Adjusters seems like what I want to do.

So I'm wondering, is the actual bare beam on a thing innerchangable with a balljoint bug one? Could I get a balljoing bug beam with adjusters for raising installed, and then swap the components over? Basically doing a rebuild.
Bob Ingman

Raising a THING

Post by Bob Ingman »

The beam is interchangable with the bug beam. However the bug ball joints are a weaker setup. The thing uses diff spindles for a 2 1/2" lift. Thing spring plates are heavier giving a firmer ride.
I would say unless you plan on going to a wider beam that there is no advantage in changing beams. Do a cut and turn or install adjusters. The thing beam is braced in there so much better and you`ld lose that advantage as well. Bob Ingman

[This message has been edited by Bob Ingman (edited 06-03-2002).]
type2guy

Raising a THING

Post by type2guy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Ingman:
Do a cut and turn or install adjusters. The thing beam is braced in there so much better and you`ld lose that advantage as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK. I was just thinking about having it easy by purchasing a beam with adjusters already welded in. Oh well. Never have welded in adjusters before, guess there's always a good time to learn.

Thanks.
Bob Ingman

Raising a THING

Post by Bob Ingman »

Rex get the book Bajas and Buggies by Jeff Hibbard. Its the best way to learn these things and pays for itself over and over.
Grey says to make him an offer on the vert boot. He likes to trade. Good luck. Bob
Mattt

Raising a THING

Post by Mattt »

To answer your question; YES, a bare Bug beam is fully interchangeable with a bare Thing beam. While not the same, it will still fully function correctly and bolt up perfectly. The only difference between a bare Bug beam and a bare Thing beam is 2 things; the shock tower on the Thing beam has an extra layer of metal to strengthen it, and the Thing beam has flange tabs off the back side to attach the tri-angle shaped bracket that bolts the beam to the pan.

A bug beam only bolts to the frame head, while the Thing beam bolts to the frame head, and the pan. If you put a Thing beam next to a bug beam you can see the difference where the extra layer of steel is on the shock tower.
If you arent going to do serious hardcore off roading, the bug beam should be fine. But, for that extra 20% piece of mind(strength), have the adjusters put in the Thing beam. Otherwise get the bug beam and slide your trailing arms into the bug beam. You dont want to use bug trailing arms/spindles because it will lower the Thing.
type2guy

Raising a THING

Post by type2guy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattt:
To answer your question; YES, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the answer Matt. Appreciated.
thinger

Raising a THING

Post by thinger »

Welcome to the group Mattt! It's good to have you aboard! I remember you from Topica. (Were the three tees intentiona; or a typo?)

When you get a chance, head over to the introduction thread so we can all get to know each other.
Jeff S

Raising a THING

Post by Jeff S »

I just had mine raised. I opted for a suspension lift. Cut and turned the front beam and turned the torsion springs. Now, I have 18" of clearance.

------------------
Jeff
1973 Thing "Greta"
http://www.geocities.com/vw_thing181tx/my73_thing.html
Bob Ingman

Raising a THING

Post by Bob Ingman »

Jeff thet sounds wild. Can you send us a photo? I`ve never seen clearance like that bfore. How much travel do you have? Bob
Jeff S

Raising a THING

Post by Jeff S »

Just go to my photo website at http://www.geocities.com/vw_thing181tx/my73_thing.html

I have before and after pictures and even have it next to my 4x4 Jeep Cherokee and it has more clearance than that too!!

------------------
Jeff
1973 Thing "Greta"
Jeff S

Raising a THING

Post by Jeff S »

Almost forgot, the pictures on the photopage were taken on my driveway which is on a incline. I will be posting some more pics of Greta once I get her on some level ground.
Jeff S

Raising a THING

Post by Jeff S »

Is it just me? I don't see anyplace on the screen that will let me upload a pic in my reply here? Am I just missing something? I already looked at the FAQs and it says hit upload and I am not seeing it anywhere.

------------------
Jeff
1973 Thing "Greta"
type2guy

Raising a THING

Post by type2guy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff S:
<B>I just had mine raised. I opted for a suspension lift. Cut and turned the front beam and turned the torsion springs. Now, I have 18" of clearance.

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you do the cut and turn yourself? If so, can you go through the procedure? And how do you know how much to "turn"? Thanks for any info.
type2guy

Raising a THING

Post by type2guy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff S:
<B>I don't see anyplace on the screen that will let me upload a pic in my reply here?

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you can actually upload a picture here anymore. You can use UBB Code though to link to a URL of a picture. Put "[img]"%20before%20and%20"[/img]" after the link to a URL with the picture.

[This message has been edited by type2guy (edited 06-13-2002).]
Bob Ingman

Raising a THING

Post by Bob Ingman »

Rex, Jeff Hibbard gives a very good account of the cut and turn in his book Bajas and Buggies which I can relay if you wish. Good luck .Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob Ingman (edited 06-13-2002).]