SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
SEMPER FI FOREVER

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by SEMPER FI FOREVER »

MY 74 ARIZONA THING (SOON TO BE A HAWAII THING) NEEDS A SOFT TOP MUCH MORE THAN THE EXISTING HARD TOP. IT IS AN ORIGINAL VW TOP,WINDOWS ARE GREAT, SOME STARBURST IN THE FIBERGLASS BUT OVERALL GOOD SHAPE. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A DEAL WITH SOMEONE. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW I WOULD SHIP THE TOP AND WHAT THE COST WOULD BE.
Bob Ingman

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by Bob Ingman »

For $220 California-J-Bugs will sell you a nice quality Thing top. Your hard top is worth at least double that. Good luck. Bob Ingman
bljones

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by bljones »

Do you have the soft top frame? if not, then I have a used frame, but it needs a new header, as this one is very wasted, and is missing the top latches. if this helps, let me know. Bob is right, for the price, you might as well get a new soft top- you can easily spend as much rejuvenating a used top.
Brian
JB181

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by JB181 »

I have a hard top on my thing. I have a part number ZVW 175 101 X-2 and date of mfg 11/75. My thing is a 73, is this an after market top are was it made by VW?

Thanks Jesse
MASSIVE TYPE IV

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

OOH RAH in Yuma!! Spent one too many "CAX" out there, damn that place sucks!

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
justcallmebob

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by justcallmebob »

JB181....I think that the X-2 suffix indicates an aftermarket top. In as much as VW wanted out of the THING business I doubt that they would have continued making tops. However, the vendor who made the tops for VW may have continued using the molds for a while resulting in a NOS aftermarket top. Only a guess
SEMPER FI FOREVER

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MASSIVE TYPE IV:
<B>OOH RAH in Yuma!! Spent one too many "CAX" out there, damn that place sucks!

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>JAKE, SURE WISH I WAS CLOSER TO GEORGIA, YOUR OPERATION THERE SOUNDS GREAT. I CAN'T FIND A GOOD VW GUY IN TOWN, MY 1600 JUST WON'T RUN RIGHT, AM TEMPTED TO TOW IT TO SAN DIEGO AND HAVE AN UPGRADED ENGINE INSTALLED.
SEMPER FI FOREVER

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Ingman:
For $220 California-J-Bugs will sell you a nice quality Thing top. Your hard top is worth at least double that. Good luck. Bob Ingman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>BOB, THANKS FOR THE LEAD. THEIR PRICE FOR A TOP IS REASONABLE BUT UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T HAVE A FRAME. THING SHOP WANTS $650+ JUST FOR A FRAME
Bob Ingman

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by Bob Ingman »

Semper FI
I think if you look at the classified section of the www.type181Registry.com you`ll find top frames AND people wanting to swap. Good luck. Bob Ingman
JB181

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by JB181 »

Anybody SoCal area have a T-2 bus trans they want to trade for a aftermarket hardtop?
Bob Ingman

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by Bob Ingman »

Jesse get ahold of Matt Lahr [email protected] he is in Anaheim and has an 02 extra. Good luck. Bob Ingman
lastsafari

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by lastsafari »

JB 181:
You can tell if a top is original by checking the windows for the little vw logo at the corners. Also there should be a metalic plate on the inside in the rear that states vw.
lastsafari

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by lastsafari »

The fiberglass tops were never made by vw. They were made by a supplyer and marketed by vw.
justcallmebob

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by justcallmebob »

Pedro

That's true, the hardtops and most of, if not all, of the accessories offered by VWofA for THING's, were made by existing, non-VW accessory mfg's. However, they did include VW logos on some of them, particularly the hardtops.

I have seen at least one THING that rolled and, although not a recommended exercise, the hardtop, an original VWofA top at that, supported the car thought the roll over. It did have the support posts in place.

A good question is if VW of Mexico ever offered any accessories through their dealers or if they were only in the after sale marketplace.

The hardtop is not TUV (?) approved for use in Germany and as a result, I believe they still cannot use them over there. We have it a lot easier in modifying our cars and in adding accessories here than in most of Europe. Most of us would not tolerate a change to the TUV system. Just imagine, no engine mods, no wheel changes, trans changes, raising, lowering, chopping, not even the addition of a trailer hitch unless it is TUV approved.

The idea of individuality in Germany is a different paint color...

[This message has been edited by justcallmebob (edited 01-12-2003).]
hawaiianvw67

SOFT TOP FOR HARD TOP

Post by hawaiianvw67 »

Alohas,

Just casually seeing if any posts caught my interests, and the last few replies did.

Here in Hawai'i...take note Semper Fi Forever...we have a damn reconstruction check that you have to get done to your car. I suppose it is somewhat similar to TUV. First off, the county only does the inspections on Tuesdays from 1pm to 3:30pm or something like that, which makes it damn near impossible for people with modified cars to get around to it. Then, you have to pay the fee up front, with no guarantee that you will actually pass the inspection. They check suspension, engine, electrical...everything if its modified. Then, if they give you the 'ok' you get to go for a safety inspection, which is another form of the gov't ripping us off, by giving us a sticker that only the gas station attendant can put on our nice chrome bumpers, which says "its official...your brake lights work."

Okay, sorry for the rant. Semper Fi, your hardtop wouldn't be so bad down here. Depending on where you're at, and I'm guessing you're going to be at MCBH (Marine corps base Hawai'i), then you're on the windward side of O'ahu, which gets a lot of rain. A lot.

Plus, there are just a lot of rat bastards down here who like to screw with ACVW's and probably wouldn't hesitate to slash your nice new soft top to get at whatever it is they want. Sorry to sound so pessimistic, however, I won't even leave my Bug parked at the beach while I'm out surfing. Last time I did that, somebody hit the front end and just left me with nice red paint all over my baby blue beauty.

well....Alohas!

~Joel