I am collecting parts for a T1 stroker (82mm). Does anyone have, or can give me a reference to find out about two AS41 cases Im looking at. The first case is AD133152, the other case is OH5383371.
Thanks for any help, Mike
T1 STROKER
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
T1 STROKER
Is that an "0" or a VW emblem? H5 cases are the worst ever made, don't even think about using for a hotrod. AD should be equivalent to the US-market AE `71/`72 case except that it was originally a 1200cc engine. Some used normal 40 HP cylinders and some used special ones that were real thick at the base so they'd plug into 1600-sized holes in the case. Some ADs also had lighter center main webs (compare it to the other one) and wouldn't be a good choice for a stroker.
------------------
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." --H.L. Mencken
`67, 69, `77 Beetles, `73 II (Type I engine), `86 Audi 5000s, etc. etc.
Independent VW specialist shop manager/unit repairman 1978-1991
Lots of good links in my Yahoo! Briefcase
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/marcvellat
------------------
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." --H.L. Mencken
`67, 69, `77 Beetles, `73 II (Type I engine), `86 Audi 5000s, etc. etc.
Independent VW specialist shop manager/unit repairman 1978-1991
Lots of good links in my Yahoo! Briefcase
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/marcvellat
- findog78
- Posts: 548
- Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:01 am
T1 STROKER
Thank you! I was hoping some one could shed some light for me. Do you have a reference or is that experiance? I looked at your breifcase, but I couldnt open the misc. files. What should I look for when shopping for a used case? He said they were AS41 cases, but I wouldnt know how to identify one when I saw it? I thought AS41 was an AS41?
Thanks for the info.
Mike
Thanks for the info.
Mike
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
T1 STROKER
I really don't know what the difference in metallurgy is, but in my experience (and it's considerable, no brag, just fact) the `68 through early `71 cases were inferior to the late `71-up, even though all were "AS41".
The difference apparently coincides with the advent of the horizontal washboard ribs in the casting above the dipstick; early AE cases without the ribs seem to be nothing but leftover 1970 B6s with a different number.
It could just be one helluva coincidence, but this is the conclusion I've reached after working on hundreds of engines.
BTW, AS21 is better if you can find one - all of `em sold in the US market were in FI cars, though, so there's no way to put in a mechanical fuelpump.
------------------
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." --H.L. Mencken
`67, 69, `77 Beetles, `73 II (Type I engine), `86 Audi 5000s, etc. etc.
Independent VW specialist shop manager/unit repairman 1978-1991
Lots of good links in my Yahoo! Briefcase http://briefcase.yahoo.com/marcvellat
[This message has been edited by Marc (edited 06-19-2002).]
The difference apparently coincides with the advent of the horizontal washboard ribs in the casting above the dipstick; early AE cases without the ribs seem to be nothing but leftover 1970 B6s with a different number.
It could just be one helluva coincidence, but this is the conclusion I've reached after working on hundreds of engines.
BTW, AS21 is better if you can find one - all of `em sold in the US market were in FI cars, though, so there's no way to put in a mechanical fuelpump.
------------------
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." --H.L. Mencken
`67, 69, `77 Beetles, `73 II (Type I engine), `86 Audi 5000s, etc. etc.
Independent VW specialist shop manager/unit repairman 1978-1991
Lots of good links in my Yahoo! Briefcase http://briefcase.yahoo.com/marcvellat
[This message has been edited by Marc (edited 06-19-2002).]