Buying Used Parts

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
User avatar
jasonb
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:01 am

Buying Used Parts

Post by jasonb »

As part of my unexpected budget engine rebuild I will have to buy as many good used parts as I can. C/W crank, flywheel, possibly con rods and carbs are the most likely items. I'm reasonably concerned about accidentally buying parts that will end up needing work that offsets the savings.

What are some of the things I need to watch out for and questions I need to ask the seller to reduce the risks. I may be buying from ebay if I can find any actual deals there.
britegreenVWSB
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:01 am

Buying Used Parts

Post by britegreenVWSB »

"I have tons of good used parts on my shelf...I get them from trade in performance engines that died because of a failure and we have to start all over.....most of the stuff is in great shape..what are you wanting to build?"

Jake,
You do??? How about a set of good, used 040 casting heads that have been P&P, have 40mm x 35.5mm valves, are bored for Cima/Mahle 94's and have less than 55cc chambers that maybe only need to be freshened up??

TG
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Buying Used Parts

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I have tons of good used parts on my shelf...I get them from trade in performance engines that died because of a failure and we have to start all over.....most of the stuff is in great shape..what are you wanting to build?
User avatar
jasonb
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:01 am

Buying Used Parts

Post by jasonb »

Jake, I sent you an email.
User avatar
sparkmaster1
Moderator
Posts: 1978
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:01 am

Buying Used Parts

Post by sparkmaster1 »

Used parts off e-bay is a chancey deal. Try to go to some of the vw swap meets and get some decent deals that you can see before you buy. Bring a mike, and a case line bore size check tool. I got a few good deals today with these simple tools. I'd buy any parts that Jake is selling as good used. Tim
Post Reply