Berg pump

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Marcas
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2001 12:01 am

Berg pump

Post by Marcas »

I am rebuilding a 1600cc engine using a standard 4 rivet cam and am adding a berg full flow kit. The pump with the kit is designed to be used with all types of cams. I have had to push the shaft of the gear which fits into the cam 7.5mm into the gear in order to make it work properly. Although the instructions suggested some adjustment this seems a lot. Anyone else have experience of these pumps?
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Berg pump

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

The pumps are suppose to be different, one should be an AK suffix, and the other a BK suffix. you can make it work that way, but it's risky.

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Berg pump

Post by Marc »

I've wondered why Berg doesn't sell 2 different pumps (the 111 115 107BK that goes with a 4-rivet cam has longer gears than the AK, maybe they think the extra 4mm is a bad thing?). I don't see any justification for using a 4-rivet cam unless it's to allow the use of the bigger pump - they come loose at the rivets a lot more often than the 3-rivet ones do, presumably a harmonic-vibration thang, I dunno for sure. If there's nothing special about this cam, I'd swap it for a 3-rivet and use it in something else with a stock BK pump. People have been doing it Berg's way for years and I haven't heard of a problem, but I agree with Jake that it just doesn't seem right.
Post Reply