Went to install new camshaft today. (New Web 119 cam w/Web cam gear and brand new Mahle bearings) Checked with a feeler guage and could not even get a .0015 between the bearing and the thrust shoulder of the cam. This is too tight from what I am told.
What does one do in this situation? I had the thought of lightly sanding one end of the thrust bearing with some emery cloth. Is this a bonehead idea?
Thanks
Camshaft thrust tolerances
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Camshaft thrust tolerances
I set mine to .0025-.003
- Advokat
- Posts: 439
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:01 am
Camshaft thrust tolerances
Okay, .0025-.003 sounds fine and I will use these figures, but how do I get there? Is my emery cloth idea okay?
Thanks
Thanks
-
britegreenVWSB
- Posts: 637
- Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:01 am
Camshaft thrust tolerances
Emery cloth is the way to do it. Lay the cloth on a flat surface and then rub the bearing thrust on the emery very lightly. Don't rub off too much! Do just a little bit, put it back in the case, and re-measure. Do this until the specs are what they are supposed to be.
TG
TG
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Camshaft thrust tolerances
I never have thrustb failures and seldom use straight cuts...
The bearings are very inconsistant, I have polished the cam before too, but it is not easy to do for someone without a machine shop in the corner of the shop, like "Us Professionals"
------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
The bearings are very inconsistant, I have polished the cam before too, but it is not easy to do for someone without a machine shop in the corner of the shop, like "Us Professionals"
------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
- RT
- Posts: 451
- Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2001 12:01 am
Camshaft thrust tolerances
Some specifics, please. Before the orginal poster destroys his bearings.
First off, "emery cloth" is dead wrong. You should be using a very fine grit of wet n' dry, say 800 or finer, on a true flat surface. Employ a technique that keeps the piece as flat as possible. I used a sheet of crocus cloth to do my Glyco bearings. They too were tight - about .001 - .0015 on my Web-cam, and it was only a ten minute job to get a "loose" .002".
Be grateful that Web-cam machines these tight so you can set the proper thrust. I have seen a number of Bugpack 4061, 4062 cams so loose that you get .006" right out of the box no matter what brand of bearings you try.
WRT to polishing the cam. I disagree. Web-cams are finished very well. Excellent choice, my man!
First off, "emery cloth" is dead wrong. You should be using a very fine grit of wet n' dry, say 800 or finer, on a true flat surface. Employ a technique that keeps the piece as flat as possible. I used a sheet of crocus cloth to do my Glyco bearings. They too were tight - about .001 - .0015 on my Web-cam, and it was only a ten minute job to get a "loose" .002".
Be grateful that Web-cam machines these tight so you can set the proper thrust. I have seen a number of Bugpack 4061, 4062 cams so loose that you get .006" right out of the box no matter what brand of bearings you try.
WRT to polishing the cam. I disagree. Web-cams are finished very well. Excellent choice, my man!