I have seen lots and lots of posts about this subject, but there does not seem to be a clear answer.
I am building a 1904 (74 x 90.5) Heads will be dual spring 40 x 32 w/p&p. Carbs. are Dellorto 36's. The cam is a Web 119, stock rockers-1.1:1. Kymco flanged super-header w/a single quietpack.
This is to be a street car that is not going to the drag strip. I wanted some more torque and power, but wanted it to remain very driveable.
The guy doing the heads suggested c/r in the 7.8-8.2 range. (I believe some of this suggestion had something to do with the fact that I am using heater boxes) With all of that said, what do you all think a good number would be with this combo.?
Thanks
[This message has been edited by Advokat (edited 06-26-2002).]
Compression Ratio
- Searoy
- Posts: 2869
- Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:01 am
Compression Ratio
I have seen lots and lots of posts about this subject, but there does not seem to be a clear answer.
How true.
Have fun. Sounds fine to me. A little odd doing all that work and spending all that money on 90.5x74 when a 94x78 costs practically the same.
------------------
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Darth Searoy
"I tend to lean toward a tighter gap and a
looser skirt....a little slap never hurt." -- Joe of the West
How true.
Have fun. Sounds fine to me. A little odd doing all that work and spending all that money on 90.5x74 when a 94x78 costs practically the same.
------------------
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Darth Searoy
"I tend to lean toward a tighter gap and a
looser skirt....a little slap never hurt." -- Joe of the West
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Compression Ratio
The reason that there are so many different opinions is because of testing and opinions from the early days...there must be a happy medium of cam/valves/CR and port work to make it all work out......
I'm not gonna post a recommendation here, email me if you want my views, as all it does here is start a war, especially since it defys most people rules.
I'm not gonna post a recommendation here, email me if you want my views, as all it does here is start a war, especially since it defys most people rules.
-
Gib
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:01 am
Compression Ratio
Advokat,
Curious. Did you mean 40 x 35.5 valves in the heads or are you going with 40 x 32's? I've heard that they are not to good in any application other than stock because the smaller exhaust valve restricts flow causing tuning and heat problems.
Gib
Curious. Did you mean 40 x 35.5 valves in the heads or are you going with 40 x 32's? I've heard that they are not to good in any application other than stock because the smaller exhaust valve restricts flow causing tuning and heat problems.
Gib
- Advokat
- Posts: 439
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:01 am
Compression Ratio
Gib, you read right, 40 x 32. I got these from AJ Simms and he understood my setup and what I wanted. Apparently, this is a very popular configuration for those of us that still need to use heater boxes.
I thought what you did, but AJ advised that there should be no problems.
I thought what you did, but AJ advised that there should be no problems.
-
Gib
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:01 am
Compression Ratio
Advokat,
Cool, just checking.
Gib
Cool, just checking.
Gib
- teacherguy
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:01 am
Compression Ratio
Advocat-
I'm building a similar engine with 34ICT's instead and was wondering about the heads and all. Where can you get them and what are thos heads based off of: 040, 041, etc? Thanks for the info.
[email protected]
I'm building a similar engine with 34ICT's instead and was wondering about the heads and all. Where can you get them and what are thos heads based off of: 040, 041, etc? Thanks for the info.
[email protected]
- Advokat
- Posts: 439
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:01 am
Compression Ratio
Teacherguy,
They are AJ Simms heads using an 043 casting. There is a website at www.lowbugget.com
Good luck
They are AJ Simms heads using an 043 casting. There is a website at www.lowbugget.com
Good luck
- bedlamite
- Posts: 288
- Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:01 am
Compression Ratio
One other question, why dual springs? Do you really plan on reving over 6000RPM with stock rocker arms? Get a good quality set of single springs and your valve train will last much longer.
To answer your original question, I would keep it under 8.5:1 for a street car running pump gas.
To answer your original question, I would keep it under 8.5:1 for a street car running pump gas.
- Advokat
- Posts: 439
- Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:01 am
Compression Ratio
Well, two things. I am going to use stock rocker arms, but go with solid rocker shafts.
I originally was going to go with the single springs, but AJ threw in the duals for no extra cost. So, I took them.
Thanks.
I originally was going to go with the single springs, but AJ threw in the duals for no extra cost. So, I took them.
Thanks.