Is it possible to have an AS41 1200cc case?
- Derek56Oval
- Posts: 121
- Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:01 am
Is it possible to have an AS41 1200cc case?
I want to build a bigger motor for my 56 bug. I got looking at the motor which I thought was a 1200cc, and noticed it is a dual relief, AS41 case. It has the 40hp single port manifolds. It is a good working motor with moderate leaking. I am wondering what is the actual displacement and can this case be used to build a big dual port stroker? Case ID is D1005400.
-
PEPPE
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 12:01 am
Is it possible to have an AS41 1200cc case?
it is a 77x64 1200 probably flat top pistons from 1973-1974.
case is usable for 1600-up. I'm building in these days a 1776 120cammed 40x35,5 heads on a case like that...
it work well and is probably better than a 1600 core. those 1200 are low power engines on a good case. i' ve never seen cracks on that cases. Peppe
case is usable for 1600-up. I'm building in these days a 1776 120cammed 40x35,5 heads on a case like that...
it work well and is probably better than a 1600 core. those 1200 are low power engines on a good case. i' ve never seen cracks on that cases. Peppe
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
Is it possible to have an AS41 1200cc case?
Peppe has seen more of these than anyone here I'll bet. Of the few I've seen in the US, a couple had 1600-sized cylinder spigots and 77mm jugs that were super-thick at the base (looked like short 1300s) and one had slightly lighter center main bearing webs than a typical 1600, but they were all in mint condition considering the obvious high miles that their pistons had on them - hard to beat up a case too bad with a 40HP.
-
mrbajadude
- Posts: 127
- Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:01 am
Is it possible to have an AS41 1200cc case?
Did the intake manifold go into the head at a 90 or at a slight angle?? Where the flanges solid or floating?? Most likely it was a single port 1500/1600. email me a mrbajadude@yahoo and I'll send you pic of both. Ol' John
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
Is it possible to have an AS41 1200cc case?
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrbajadude:
Most likely it was a single port 1500/1600. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope, most likely it's a 1200 40HP ("D" block=cambearing 40)
Most likely it was a single port 1500/1600. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope, most likely it's a 1200 40HP ("D" block=cambearing 40)
- Derek56Oval
- Posts: 121
- Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:01 am
Is it possible to have an AS41 1200cc case?
Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like a good starting point for my build. You guys are a great help.
The manifolds go in on a 90 degree angle.
[This message has been edited by Derek56Oval (edited 07-25-2002).]
The manifolds go in on a 90 degree angle.
[This message has been edited by Derek56Oval (edited 07-25-2002).]
-
PEPPE
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 12:01 am
Is it possible to have an AS41 1200cc case?
Marc you are right. here in Italy there are more D1200 with recent cases than other engines. Vw sold it until 1986.
These are good engines. have 34 din HP (6.6:1) with older versions (flat top pistons) and 37 din Hp on high top pistons (7:1 cr) On older ones there is 90mm holes of barrels and some recent ones are 87mm, like those from 1965 to 1970.
Often head studs are 10mm. when I can i subtitute for 8mm ones with case savers.
Other times I simply helicoil those are weak.
Machining of case is sometimes little different, like Marc have seen. Center main bearing web appear a little smaller (only few millimeters), because it is machined flat instead of 1300-1600 that are machined with a dished shape.
Peppe
These are good engines. have 34 din HP (6.6:1) with older versions (flat top pistons) and 37 din Hp on high top pistons (7:1 cr) On older ones there is 90mm holes of barrels and some recent ones are 87mm, like those from 1965 to 1970.
Often head studs are 10mm. when I can i subtitute for 8mm ones with case savers.
Other times I simply helicoil those are weak.
Machining of case is sometimes little different, like Marc have seen. Center main bearing web appear a little smaller (only few millimeters), because it is machined flat instead of 1300-1600 that are machined with a dished shape.
Peppe