Balance dual Carbs

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
rovp
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by rovp »

I am in need of a carb balance, dual weber 40idf's. I am going to buy a flow meter, but was wondering if a fluke/ volt meter would work for a dwell tac meter? all the stuff I have read about balancing has you refer to the dwell tac for 900 rpm to start the process. If so what is the conversion of volts to rpm and where do you connect? I am ass-uming at the coil but you know what happens when you ass-ume too much...any help much appreciated!!
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by Marc »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rovp:
If so what is the conversion of volts to rpm and where do you connect? B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No can do. Tachometers take the square-wave pulses from the points (or electronic switching device) which are of inconsistent width (narrower as RPM increases) and use them to trigger a multivibrator circuit that makes narrow pulses of uniform width and voltage. These pulses are then rectified to a DC current that's proportional to engine RPM. Your Fluke doesn't have this capability.
The exact RPM at which you synch carbs isn't that critical - they just want you to start at a "normal" idle RPM....your ear should do.
rovp
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by rovp »

thanks I was probably going to just try the ear thing. where is Kenmore? I am originally from Wenatchee, but now live in Jax FL. Would like to bring my Dune Buggy home for Apple Blossom one year. nice talking to you
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by Marc »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rovp:
where is Kenmore? I am originally from Wenatchee,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Over on the wet side, right at the north end of Lake Washington between Lake Forest Park and Bothell.
lesd
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by lesd »

Some meters like the Fluke will read HZ as well as duty cycle. This *might* work as HZ can be translated to rpm, and dwell is pretty much duty cycle, in percentage not degrees.
I would spring for one of the point elimination kits, then you can forget about dwell forever.

-Les
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rovp:
I am in need of a carb balance, dual weber 40idf's. I am going to buy a flow meter, but was wondering if a fluke/ volt meter would work for a dwell tac meter? all the stuff I have read about balancing has you refer to the dwell tac for 900 rpm to start the process. If so what is the conversion of volts to rpm and where do you connect? I am ass-uming at the coil but you know what happens when you ass-ume too much...any help much appreciated!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
User avatar
UncleBob
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by UncleBob »

Rovp,
Where are you at and what do you drive? I live out in Middleburg, work in OP (Blanding+295). I have carb-sync tool if you wanna borrow it. Heck, bring your car over if you want, and we'll fiddle with it. I drive a white Empi Imp if you've ever seen it scooting down Blanding or 17...
rovp
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by rovp »

I do have an electronic ignition on the distributor. How does that effect what rpm the engine idols at? I thought it controlled the spark for cleaner more efficient running.
Does a dwell meter only work if you have points installed?
rovp
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by rovp »

Uncle Bob,
hey man I can't believe the timing. I live just off Blanding, south of kingsley, almost behind the Auto Zone. I have a purple El Lobo, 1975 pan 1776cc engine. My wife and I just closed on a house closer to my work, Dunn Ave. about 20 miles north. We are in the process of moving as I am writing this. The buggy is still in OP but will be moved some time this week. I would like to stop by some evening maybe and let you have a look. Just let me know...
User avatar
UncleBob
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by UncleBob »

Rovp, This week is gonna be tough, as we will be burning some midnight oil getting my Buddys El-Lobo road-ready. (wierd, huh?). He lives over in Orange Park South. You're welcome to borrow the Uni-Syn this week if you'd like, or we might be able to have you over sometime next week. I could drop the Uni-Syn off for you to borrow if you needed. I go that way to and from work every day. E-mail me.
rovp
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by rovp »

hey I have been moving and just got to the old house to catch up on mail. I am also really busy right now, I plan on moving my buggy up to the new house probably sunday. If I dont get a chance to catch up with you sometime this week, I would really like to see your bug and your friends lobo. maybe a weekend in Aug. I will be around and should get some time to get mine in shape then...
User avatar
UncleBob
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by UncleBob »

Right on. I'll have everyone over for a mini buggy show. Image I'll let you sneak a peek at the new member of the family I picked up over on the Northside yesterday. Bastard Buggy! You make fun of the cracks, broken fiberglass, flaking clear coat, and neon pin-stripes, and you won't be allowed to borrow the Uni-Syn, though. See ya later.
rovp
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Balance dual Carbs

Post by rovp »

sounds good just let me know. I will be in your area this weekend gotta mow the lawn before we exit our old house. by the way the buggy is still in OP as well, I am hoping to pull it saturday but will have to see how things go...ttl
Post Reply