Speedster replica rusted floor

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
oldwatery
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:49 pm

Speedster replica rusted floor

Post by oldwatery »

I have an older Intermeccanica Speedster using a shortened VW chassis with added subframes. The floors are badly rusted out. Which replacement pans are recommended? Are there any things I should be watching out for? I fancy body off so I can rewire the beast ...is that OK or will the chassis bend during the work? Mahalo in advance for your advice.
User avatar
Rescue912
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:00 am

Post by Rescue912 »

There are lots of places to get pans. The best I've seen are from aircooled.net - the main differences that I have found are the gauge of the steel used and whether or not there are seat rails included.

Got any pix? Gotta love the speedsters ...
oldwatery
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:49 pm

Post by oldwatery »

Mahalo 912.....thick guage is good, especially as I live by the ocean. I read somewhere about a video covering this job....any ideas? Sorry about the poor quality photo.
Any other tips :?:
Image
User avatar
Rescue912
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:00 am

Post by Rescue912 »

Awesome, just awesome. For videos, I have heard that the Bug Me Videos are good but I have not seen anything other than Raby's T4 rebuild (which was really good).

Some things from that will apply and some things won't since you have a bit of a hybrid. Shouldn't be too difficult to shorten the pans and stitch the new ones in (famous last words!)

Thanks for the pix. What kinda powerplant you have pushing it?
User avatar
ol'68
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:01 am

Post by ol'68 »

I have the BugMeVideo of the floorpan repalcement and it is top notch. You will not be sorry. Get it and support Rick. VWOA went after him for using Bug in his name. :x
It won't show you how to shorten a pan, but you will have enough confidence to replace a pan no problem. Mine came out fantastic due to the video.

-ol'68
Post Reply