Bracing for extra HP motor into Type 1

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
eureka
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:58 pm

Bracing for extra HP motor into Type 1

Post by eureka »

G'day all,
anyone got some pictures of the transmission / engine bracing they're using to cope with the extra horses?

I'm particularly keen on pictures for the Subaru EJ motor into a Type 1
eureka
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:58 pm

Post by eureka »

Type 1 1500 motor weighs about 113kg and put out about 53HP. A Subaru EJ20 n/a motor weighs about 130kg and puts out about 145HP.

Are you all just letting the Suabru engine hang off the adaptor plate and transmission without any axtra support?
User avatar
miller
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:01 am

Post by miller »

Solid tranny mounts. Fabricated engine mounts if you think it needs it. Basically maske sure your tranny is connected to your pan as good as possible. Weld your tranny fork sides and maybe raise the rear end alittle to even the car out with the added weight.
eureka
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:58 pm

Post by eureka »

I was thinking of running some bracing from the end of the frame horns to the top of the shock towers and a brace between the shock towers (to triangulate the frame horn brace) - something like the Kafer cup brace or CSP torque bar. I was also thinking along the lines of a Gene Berg tranny mid-mount with HD rubber mounts.
I'd prefer not to go the solid mount route as this car will be a daily driver and our Aussie roads are quite rough.
As my Suby conversion is in a kit car with a fibreglass body, doing a brace/crossmember specifically for the engine would be quite difficult, but I'm not sure whether it needs it, which is why I posted the query.
Guest

Post by Guest »

I doubt it will need it. There are plenty of v-dum motors that probably weigh that much with a turbo setup and whatnot with way more power. How much do type4 motors weight? Probably about what the ej20 is at.
Post Reply