73 Beetle Front end install

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
RagingBugStallion

73 Beetle Front end install

Post by RagingBugStallion »

Ok, I'm in the middle of a restore. Probably an 80% restore actually. I've read my Haynes and my Bentley (excellent manual) on the procedure for re-installing my front end and it just seems like something is wrong. The axle is back in place and seems to be exactly where it is supposed to be. It's a new axle and I swapped out the bearings with poly bushings (hope that was the right move). The problem is that both the upper and lower torsion arms are pointing toward the floor. If you superimposed a clock over the top of them they would be pointing to about 7:00. Is that the right position or do I have to adjust the bottom ones? It just doesn't seem like they are going to line up. I also don't have that cool tool that the Bentley manual says to use to lift the upper arm up enough to insert it into the steering knuckle. Anyone have any ideas on either one of these points? Is that about the right angle and do I have to use the tool or is there another way. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.