So green I don't know where to start...

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Magic Chimp
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:31 am

So green I don't know where to start...

Post by Magic Chimp »

Sorry Guys you've probably run this question a million times but here goes....

I'm just about to start my next project and want to put the old suby engine onto the back of a bug pan (356 replica).

Mailed Rich Olafsson and he recommended either a 915 but pref a G50 trans.

What are the benefits and whats the first step - once I get my IRS pan stripped and found a trans. (Other than hide the receipts from the misses!) :shock:
justdubbin
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:01 am

Post by justdubbin »

You want to do a search on here.
The one thing that has been said about the G50 other that it being about twice the price of a 901/915 is it's a fair bit longer making it difficult to mount in a beetle,not sure about a 356
Check ot this site http://www.ricola.co.uk/


Rob.
magicchimp

Post by magicchimp »

Cheers Rob.

Rich's site doesn't have much on the mounting points / frame for the engine and Junkyard Oval has started to worry me re fitting location. Do you know of any good sites for these?

I have looked at some on earlier threads but they seem to stop before a conclusion is reached! :D

Twice the price! I've seen a couple of 915s for around £900 so think I will probably stick with known / cheaper technology!
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

<250ishHP/250 Ft/lbs of torque, a 901 should be fine. Except for first.
A 6061 T6 center plate can be built into it, supposedly good for >>350 HP, as long as you upgrade the CVs of course.


A 915 might be cheaper at that point, save for the clutch bits... They cost major bucks from all I have heard. Should be good to 450 HP.

In a light car, either tranny would take a bit more.
(How fast is YOUR wallet?)

Mr. Ghia used to have some shots of the crossbar front mount and shift adapter he made...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
User avatar
Richard Olafsson
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Richard Olafsson »

The main issue when using a turbo subaru lump is the depth of the sump. When I fitted the 915 I raised it to get around this problem. Other people have solid mounted the trans which is easy but fro a daily driver prbably not that sensible. The only real reason I recommended the G50 is that if you keep an eye out they do turn up fairly cheaply every now and then and the shift is apparentyl much better. The real downer with the 901/915 is that they do not respond well to fast shifting and if you have the power that's exactly what you want to do!

Rich
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

Tis true... It's partially the clutch design, but hard speed shifting isn't good.
Develop freinds in the auto wrecking biz...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
junkyardoval
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 12:01 am

Post by junkyardoval »

Hey Magic
Check Reub's car. Also I got ideas from Michael Ghia's site. The g50 would be the best, but they are expensive. If the weather ever gets above freezing I will start work on mine again. Then I can pull the body off and get some good photo's.
Check my site http//:photo.starblvd.net/junkyardoval

Ernie
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

Ever get that beast running?

Minor typo above, try:
http://photo.starblvd.net/junkyardoval
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
junkyardoval
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 12:01 am

Post by junkyardoval »

Not yet. It has been a little too cold to work on it. Will be ordering the 9" clutch and pressureplate from KEP next week. The radiator is in and finished. I have the tubing for the water lines and my wiring buddy is working on the harness. Also working on a couple polished alum. rings so I can mount the Porsche tach and speedo in the dash. Lots of small things to do while the weather is cold. Plan to pull the body and sandblast it in March and put it back on for the last time. I hope.

Ernie
MagicChimp

Post by MagicChimp »

Thanks guys.

Look forward to those junkyardoval pics!

I guess with that temperature your going to fit a heater matrix!

Rich thinks that direct fit of box to chassis is too much for a daily driver. Can anyone confirm how bad it is?

Anyone spec any mount thicknesses for me?

Cheers (still very green) Magic Chimp :D
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

With a 091 tranny solid mounted, speaking to the passenger is impossible at 55 MPH, and a stereo is useless at any speed.
(OK, perhaps not "impossible, but it's LOUD. The 091 is probably louder than a 901, but it's a data point)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Magic Chimp
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:31 am

Post by Magic Chimp »

Wow!

And if I'm as lucky as Rich that will only be for around 4 seconds......

Can you recommend any mount fitting?

Are you living with a direct mounting?

Can you still hear! :wink:

On the plus side - they just anounced that the police over in the UK want speed limits RAISED to 80mph!

It doesn't make up for your cheap gas but it goes a looooong way!
justdubbin
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:01 am

Post by justdubbin »

Magic Chimp wrote:
On the plus side - they just anounced that the police over in the UK want speed limits RAISED to 80mph!

It doesn't make up for your cheap gas but it goes a looooong way!
But I bet they'll put another 30,000 or so speed cameras up set @80.01 MPH
B@ST@RDS :evil:


Rob..
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

It's my sons car, had to put the T1 trans back in on original mounts for his wife...

We built our own... for the 091, VERY solid, ties into the homeade kafer brace solidly... But that's not what you are doing.
(absolutely no wheel shake, launches beautifully)

He got the wife a "Rabbit" (Golf) convertible awhile back, and he has decided the fast paint job he did wasn't such a great idea... The 091 is going back in as before. He drove it like that for many hard/fast miles (home inspector) before he got the wife the `vert.

He could still hear last I checked, but his stereo could drown out almost anything... but not that trans.

I'm not sure how a 901 mounts in a 911, so I would defer to Mike Ghia.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Guest

Post by Guest »

check out
http://www.germanlook.com
they had an article on fitting a 911 trans last
time i looked
Post Reply