Ok I have lined up the number stamp on the rod with the number on the cap. But I noticed the rods have an offset. I can see the casting mark on the edge of each rod. But how do I know which way to point the rods to have the indication face up?
Right now I have each rod pointing in the direction it would be if it were in the engine. In this case all marks are pointing up.
On stock rods there's a bump on the beam that should go up. If it's been removed, look down on the rod from the wristpin end and turn it so the wide side of the big end is on your left (towards the pulley on #1 & #2, towards the flywheel on #3 & #4) - on 1600 rods the numbers should be up too.
Ok I got the mark pointing up. But which side should the rod be fliped to?
I have them all pointing towards their respective cylinders as they would be if they were installed. With them fliped to this side I have the bumps facing up.
OK im pretty sure I got it right. I didn't take the rods off the shop that align bored it took em off. He labled them but as soon as I saw the bumps on the rods and the offset I realized there was a way they had to be installed.