Seafoam again
-
cruzinbug
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:52 pm
Seafoam again
sorry i had to post again but it said the forum was locked. Sea foam is a liquid that you pour into the carbs and its supose to clean out the carbon material in your engine. My friends have used it in their honda's and ive seen it work for them. They suck it up from a vaccum line and it goes into the engine, after a while the engine starts to smoke, thats how it shows its working and cleaning off the carbon deposits, after 15 min they clean their integs run alot smoother and feel more responsive. I drove their integs to feel the differance and it does feel alot smoother. My question is has any one tried it on a VW? You can also pour it into the carb and work them same way but no sure if i should try it. Seafoam is sold at NAPA.
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
-
yetibone
- Posts: 250
- Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:31 pm
What you speak of is top engine cleaner. It's supposed to *steam-clean* the carbon out of combustion chambers and off of valve radii.
I've used something similar made by Mega-Power. It came in 3 parts; one bottle of juice to add to the tank, one to add to the oil, and one to suck into the intake thru an open vacuum line. This stuff is more geared towards FI cars.
I wouldn't use the vacuum line stuff on an older engine 'cause it can wash the cylinder walls, and ruin some already worn rings.
I've heard of Sea-Foam products. I only use their transmission additives though.
I've used something similar made by Mega-Power. It came in 3 parts; one bottle of juice to add to the tank, one to add to the oil, and one to suck into the intake thru an open vacuum line. This stuff is more geared towards FI cars.
I wouldn't use the vacuum line stuff on an older engine 'cause it can wash the cylinder walls, and ruin some already worn rings.
I've heard of Sea-Foam products. I only use their transmission additives though.
- MNAirHead
- Posts: 9570
- Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am
Howdy....
Back when I was starting out, I made a gas cocktail.
Bit of Premium
Bit of Diesel
Bit of Seafoam
Bit of Octane Booster
Bit of Sta-Bil
The car smoked a bit... not sure if it really did anything... I was trying to clean it, cool it and feel like a mechanic.
I've heard rumours that a bug will run on Moonshine... I have run them on Propane ... but Coke???? Jake are you kidding (let us know before a newbie pours in a 2l bottle).
I'm not qualifed to be a chemist... the guys on the call in radio talk shows all seem to sear by the stuff.
We have a convertable that only recieves about 500 miles a year and doesn't get properly mothballed... I run a Seafoam and StaBil in it all the time.
I haven't had any hurt from it, but not sure if seafoam has improved the aircooleds.
T.
Back when I was starting out, I made a gas cocktail.
Bit of Premium
Bit of Diesel
Bit of Seafoam
Bit of Octane Booster
Bit of Sta-Bil
The car smoked a bit... not sure if it really did anything... I was trying to clean it, cool it and feel like a mechanic.
I've heard rumours that a bug will run on Moonshine... I have run them on Propane ... but Coke???? Jake are you kidding (let us know before a newbie pours in a 2l bottle).
I'm not qualifed to be a chemist... the guys on the call in radio talk shows all seem to sear by the stuff.
We have a convertable that only recieves about 500 miles a year and doesn't get properly mothballed... I run a Seafoam and StaBil in it all the time.
I haven't had any hurt from it, but not sure if seafoam has improved the aircooleds.
T.
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
- sideshow
- Posts: 3428
- Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:00 am
I've done the water trick.
Take a glass of water;
Out of the tail pipe you will get steam or water drops depending on how much over time.
This method works with diesal, water or ATF. I use a garden hose and haven't tried fuel...ATF creates white smoke. Some day I will do only one side of a dual-carbed engine and then tear it down promptly.
Take a glass of water;
- Rev the engine
Dribble some down the carb's throat !while running!
If the engine loses RPM, back off the water
Keep the engine running
Out of the tail pipe you will get steam or water drops depending on how much over time.
This method works with diesal, water or ATF. I use a garden hose and haven't tried fuel...ATF creates white smoke. Some day I will do only one side of a dual-carbed engine and then tear it down promptly.
- Brian Murray
- Posts: 1111
- Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:51 pm
-
Guest
I seem to recall reading that using coke for this type of thing is just like using plain carbonated water, except for negative effects from the sugar. Maybe it was club soda, or something, but I know the sugar can't be good. An example is using coke to wash windows; It can clean stuff off good, but leaves sugar and dye residue.
hmmm, wish I could remember my username here.
hmmm, wish I could remember my username here.
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
-
Guest
Back in the old days we used to get a bottle of rubbing alcohol (70%). We would punch nail holes in the top and then let the engine suck the alcohol down the carb as the engine reved up and down.
The water/alcohol mixture seems to be ideal. The alcohol burns clean and the water provides a bit of steam clean effect. Oh yeah, the alcohol also lceans out thae carb passages.
One thing I was told was that, after the alcohol teatment, always let the engine run for a bit to blow all the water and oxidation out.
The water/alcohol mixture seems to be ideal. The alcohol burns clean and the water provides a bit of steam clean effect. Oh yeah, the alcohol also lceans out thae carb passages.
One thing I was told was that, after the alcohol teatment, always let the engine run for a bit to blow all the water and oxidation out.
- dstar
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am
We used 80 lb bags of thin-shell walnut shells on the LM2500sMASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:I have used a 5 gallon bucket full of Coca Cola Classic to blast out gunk from a T-58 Turboshaft engine before... It was prescribed by a team of Boeing Tech reps for an engine we had with consistent low power!
Just use common sense when doing it and you won't have problems.
and 1500s I used to work on!
After running that through them, we would take a peek inside
with the boroscope and everything looked like it was polished
to a mirror finish!
Walnut sheel have nasty sharp edges when broken that act like
*organic* sandblast media and the oil in the shell doesn't do any
*harm* either!
Don
- Brian Murray
- Posts: 1111
- Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:51 pm
you're kidding right?dstar wrote:We used 80 lb bags of thin-shell walnut shells on the LM2500sMASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:I have used a 5 gallon bucket full of Coca Cola Classic to blast out gunk from a T-58 Turboshaft engine before... It was prescribed by a team of Boeing Tech reps for an engine we had with consistent low power!
Just use common sense when doing it and you won't have problems.
and 1500s I used to work on!
After running that through them, we would take a peek inside
with the boroscope and everything looked like it was polished
to a mirror finish!
Walnut sheel have nasty sharp edges when broken that act like
*organic* sandblast media and the oil in the shell doesn't do any
*harm* either!
Don
- drkoontz
- Posts: 931
- Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:01 am
I have heard of this being done with good results (but not on a running engine:)Brian Murray wrote:you're kidding right?dstar wrote:We used 80 lb bags of thin-shell walnut shells on the LM2500sMASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:I have used a 5 gallon bucket full of Coca Cola Classic to blast out gunk from a T-58 Turboshaft engine before... It was prescribed by a team of Boeing Tech reps for an engine we had with consistent low power!
Just use common sense when doing it and you won't have problems.
and 1500s I used to work on!
After running that through them, we would take a peek inside
with the boroscope and everything looked like it was polished
to a mirror finish!
Walnut sheel have nasty sharp edges when broken that act like
*organic* sandblast media and the oil in the shell doesn't do any
*harm* either!
Don
-
Guest
Well, the engines I was talkin about were turbines, and yes,
running engines!
Thye were in here:
http://www.adi-limited.com/images/LM2550_Module.jpg
How else you gonna get a turbine to suck 80 lbs of walnut shells
through it?
Ask Jake, I'm sure they used it in those little engines he worked on....
Ours were 35,000 HP units........EACH..............4 TOTAL!
Don
running engines!
Thye were in here:
http://www.adi-limited.com/images/LM2550_Module.jpg
How else you gonna get a turbine to suck 80 lbs of walnut shells
through it?
Ask Jake, I'm sure they used it in those little engines he worked on....
Ours were 35,000 HP units........EACH..............4 TOTAL!
Don