Removing broken head studs ?

Who is the best person to rebuild your engine? You...
Danny
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2002 12:01 am

Removing broken head studs ?

Post by Danny »

Two of my head studs are broken. The one above the #2 cylinder, and the recessed one above the the #3 cylinder (broke deep inside).
I tried removeing the one above the #2 cylinder by welding a bit on the end and using plyers/sokets to remove it, but that didn't work.
What do I do?
User avatar
cnavarro
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by cnavarro »

Since you're in SoCal, just to go rimco. They can have them wire edm'ed out for a few bucks. I've sent porsche 356 cases to be serviced, since their studs rarely come out. Nice work, only one case saver required after 3 cases.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
mike@crosbys
Posts: 1178
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:31 pm

Post by mike@crosbys »

any competent machine shop should be able to get a broken stud out, they aren't that big of a deal
Guest

Post by Guest »

I bought a broken stud/bolt removal set and got the one that broke flush with the case out. I'll have my mechanic re-tap and replace the two studs. Thanks
Post Reply