Seeking Ghia Fender Flares....

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
User avatar
Wesayso
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 4:21 pm

Post by Wesayso »

Take a look at the race herritage of Karmann as well :wink:

Image

http://www.obvio.ind.br/Equipe%20Dacon.htm
User avatar
John Kelly
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:01 am

Post by John Kelly »

My DVD showing how to make your own flares is done:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=83378

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
User avatar
64 variant
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:21 pm

Post by 64 variant »

Why do you need wheels that wide, or is it just for the "LOOK"? I have 17X7s on my VW with a turbo 2276 and that is enough rubber. Be careful adding all that weight to your wheels, you WILL notice a difference in acceleration, handling, and braking for the worse.
User avatar
John Kelly
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:01 am

Post by John Kelly »

It is not just wide wheels, or body style, but track width that makes flaring a Ghia something that some people might want to do. 17X7s on a Ghia are tricky without flares, and add very little track width. Autocrossers prefer 8" wheels for that particular type of driving...all depends on what you want. And some people think a nicely flared (widened) Ghia is better looking than a stock one...imagine that.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
kdanie
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2001 12:01 am

Post by kdanie »

John,
I just received my DVD on metal working fender flairs.... GREAT stuff, I can't wait for the nest one. Keep up the good work.

ken
User avatar
sideshow
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:00 am

Post by sideshow »

64 variant wrote:Why do you need wheels that wide, or is it just for the "LOOK"?...
Also keep in mind that the ghia has plenty of room for the 5 inch wide bias ply that was the norm in the 1950's.

So two things are an issue, the fenders don't unbolt and modern tires are just wider.
User avatar
John Kelly
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:01 am

Post by John Kelly »

kdanie wrote:John,
I just received my DVD on metal working fender flairs.... GREAT stuff, I can't wait for the nest one. Keep up the good work.

ken
Thanks Ken,

The next one should be a little easier to make. Learned a lot...got some good feedback on what the next one needs.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
User avatar
Mikey 1972GL
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:53 pm

Post by Mikey 1972GL »

This is an older thread, but I still have questions...

Has anyone fit 9" wide wheels under the rear of a stock Ghia? I have a set of 17"x7" Porsche Cup 2 wheels now, and I was thinking of buying a pair of 9"s for the rear, and I was wondering if someone has ever fit them. They all have a 55et, I know the 7"s will fit now, I was just wondering if I can squeese another 2 inches out of the stock opening. I just measured my wheels now, laying them flat with a straight peice laying accross the front, and they measure 8 3/8" on the width of the tires (205/50R17). All I need is 3/8ths of an inch and a little more for tires.

Between tire choice and spacers, I think they just MIGHT fit. but I'm not sure, I should probably measure everything again. :roll:

Thanks again...
Post Reply