The Super Efficient engine project- 40+ MPG- 110HP!
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
The Super Efficient engine project- 40+ MPG- 110HP!
Len and I have decided that with gas prices continuing to climb that we should make our super efficient project more of a priority.
We have a design pending that will create crazy efficiency and couple a small bore with a long stroke and a long rod with the correct cam and CR that should average 40 MPG and still make great power for a daily driver with exceptional cool running.
I plan on selling this engine in turnkey and "unassembled" (kit) form later when we get the recipe written.
Len has the heads in the works now and I already have all the parts in stock to complete it...
So... Who would be interested in purchasing this baby after its all finished and tested?? If we can find a buyer for it I might just make it even more of a priority. The price would be cheaper than normal because I will be able to derive data from the combination.
Feel free to ask us questions, Len says he pop in theis week to answer some about the plans for the heads.
We have a design pending that will create crazy efficiency and couple a small bore with a long stroke and a long rod with the correct cam and CR that should average 40 MPG and still make great power for a daily driver with exceptional cool running.
I plan on selling this engine in turnkey and "unassembled" (kit) form later when we get the recipe written.
Len has the heads in the works now and I already have all the parts in stock to complete it...
So... Who would be interested in purchasing this baby after its all finished and tested?? If we can find a buyer for it I might just make it even more of a priority. The price would be cheaper than normal because I will be able to derive data from the combination.
Feel free to ask us questions, Len says he pop in theis week to answer some about the plans for the heads.
Last edited by MASSIVE TYPE IV on Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
914fan.
Would this be the 78 stroke with 90mm type 1 pistons and rods that people have been talking about lately? But with your cam and great HAM heads? Would the heads be of the new 7mm valves? 44X38?
No need to give away trade secreats, I'm just curious.
Congrats on the cam / lifter issue resolution. I wish I could have donated. I will do my donation in a couple years (I hope) when I buy one of your kits, or better youer turnkey.
Thanks again for all the help you have offered to myself and others. I don't think you get enough of that.
thank you
No need to give away trade secreats, I'm just curious.
Congrats on the cam / lifter issue resolution. I wish I could have donated. I will do my donation in a couple years (I hope) when I buy one of your kits, or better youer turnkey.
Thanks again for all the help you have offered to myself and others. I don't think you get enough of that.
thank you
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
The heads won't have or need the 7mm stemmed valves.. Thats only beneficial in high revvers that need less valve mass for better control with lighter springs.
This project will couple thoughts from Len and I with his heads and my combo- both designed to work together.
Valves will be smaller than 44x38, we only go to valves that large on much bigger engines...
This project will couple thoughts from Len and I with his heads and my combo- both designed to work together.
Valves will be smaller than 44x38, we only go to valves that large on much bigger engines...
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
-
dd-ardvark
- Posts: 78
- Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:01 am
Hey Jake,
I vaguely remember around 1982-85 in Hot VWs an article on a ghia that claimed 54mpg out of a T1 and I think it was destroked to like 55 or 60mm with 90.5 bore, 1400cc+/-.
Anyone, still have that hot vw article that could shed some light here. Another thing, their was also a cam company making a cam shaft claiming high millage by the name of Brown cam co. around the same time. Might be good for baseline info anyway.
dd-ardvark
I vaguely remember around 1982-85 in Hot VWs an article on a ghia that claimed 54mpg out of a T1 and I think it was destroked to like 55 or 60mm with 90.5 bore, 1400cc+/-.
Anyone, still have that hot vw article that could shed some light here. Another thing, their was also a cam company making a cam shaft claiming high millage by the name of Brown cam co. around the same time. Might be good for baseline info anyway.
dd-ardvark
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Yep. Thats the "Mileage motor" of yesteryear..
I know we can get more from a TIV and not sacrifice power.
My 912E has gotten 42MPG and when its in tune it averages 36-38 so 40 is probably a low guesstimate..
But more than that and people just won't believe it- Even if we make it happen.
BTW- This combo would make a great bus engine.. I want to put one in a bus.
I know we can get more from a TIV and not sacrifice power.
My 912E has gotten 42MPG and when its in tune it averages 36-38 so 40 is probably a low guesstimate..
But more than that and people just won't believe it- Even if we make it happen.
BTW- This combo would make a great bus engine.. I want to put one in a bus.
- Murdock
- Posts: 827
- Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:01 am
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... ght=jaguardd-ardvark wrote:Hey Jake,
I vaguely remember around 1982-85 in Hot VWs an article on a ghia that claimed 54mpg out of a T1 and I think it was destroked to like 55 or 60mm with 90.5 bore, 1400cc+/-.
Anyone, still have that hot vw article that could shed some light here. Another thing, their was also a cam company making a cam shaft claiming high millage by the name of Brown cam co. around the same time. Might be good for baseline info anyway.
dd-ardvark
Page one and two have some information I copied from the article.
- slowtwitch
- Posts: 533
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:38 am
I called Len up last week about a 2.0 914 head rebuilt. I told him that this would be an everyday driver and that I would like to surprise people once in a while on I95. In our conversation he mentioned this setup and it really perked my interest. I wish my finances were in better shape or I would take you up on that offer, Jake. But for now I have to do it a little at a time.
BTW, thanks again Len, if your reading this, for the time you took out of your busy schedule to talk to me over the phone. It's people like you and Jake, who share thier time and effort, that make this hobby that much easier.
pete
BTW, thanks again Len, if your reading this, for the time you took out of your busy schedule to talk to me over the phone. It's people like you and Jake, who share thier time and effort, that make this hobby that much easier.
pete
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
The Bus combo would not be as efficient as the Beetle version..
The way we will attain the mileage and power is with pure efficiency. Efficiency requires a healthy dose of compression so the bus application will limit just how high we can go with the static CR...
Our aim is not for Bus applications, but the data we gather will be valuable for all sorts of high efficiency engines in the future.
The way we will attain the mileage and power is with pure efficiency. Efficiency requires a healthy dose of compression so the bus application will limit just how high we can go with the static CR...
Our aim is not for Bus applications, but the data we gather will be valuable for all sorts of high efficiency engines in the future.
-
helowrench
- Posts: 1925
- Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:20 am
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am