The Super Efficient engine project- 40+ MPG- 110HP!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
User avatar
turbo_bob
Posts: 1312
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:01 am

Post by turbo_bob »

For a great air-cooled mpg engine I would like to see someone build a 90 x 85.5 bore, type 1, stock cam, stock valve size, 36 mm dual Dell's with a 2.70 overall 4th gear ratio. 35 to 40 mpg?
User avatar
914fan
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:53 pm

Post by 914fan »

Not to side track this conversation but ...........
Jake, how is this engine comming along? Have you learned anything new? I know you cant share it, I just want to know if you have already improved on your original design, and a general update.
thanks
Nick
User avatar
vw505
Posts: 2151
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:01 am

Post by vw505 »

Len i sent the "Q" heads out friday .
It's what you learn after you know every thing that counts.
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

turbo_bob wrote:For a great air-cooled mpg engine I would like to see someone build a 90 x 85.5 bore, type 1, stock cam, stock valve size, 36 mm dual Dell's with a 2.70 overall 4th gear ratio. 35 to 40 mpg?
Or same configuration with Miller Cycle cam timing and a M45 blower, serpentine belt.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

TI development is pretty much come and gone from my shop....

Anyway,
The project is well underway! I have all the parts worked out and Millenium just finished with the plating of the cylinders. I have all the performance coatings completed as well.

Now all I have to do is polish the crank to give us adequate running clearances and have the oil pump gears DLC coated...


Cam is being made as we speak.

I can't do anything else until Len finishes the heads...
HAM Inc
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:33 am

Post by HAM Inc »

Oh boy, looks like I'm the critical path! The heads for this project are just about finished. We should have flow #'s by the end of the week.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

SWEET!

Get to work DAMMIT!
User avatar
MassIVe 79 Vert
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:36 pm

Post by MassIVe 79 Vert »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:SWEET!

Get to work DAMMIT!
Hey Jake......you get to work too......I want my car! NOW :wink:
User avatar
vw505
Posts: 2151
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:01 am

Post by vw505 »

Len like i said feel free to try something new with mine .
It's what you learn after you know every thing that counts.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

vw505 wrote:Len like i said feel free to try something new with mine .
He is just like me, we seldom do the same thing twice!
HAM Inc
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:33 am

Post by HAM Inc »

Always refining! Always!
User avatar
vw505
Posts: 2151
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2001 12:01 am

Post by vw505 »

Len , you get my "Q's" yet?
It's what you learn after you know every thing that counts.
HAM Inc
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:33 am

Post by HAM Inc »

Just got them. But I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.
Jopapa
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 4:11 pm

Post by Jopapa »

I'd LOVE to have an engine like this. This overall goal was my primary reason for buying an old Bug resto project in the first place (well that and I like Bugs). Do you plan on posting a list of the right parts and specs for those of us who want to build the engine piece by piece. Being an E3 in the military makes it very hard to save up for a complete engine :P
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I was once an E-3 and had plenty of money to buy VW parts and go fast.... Save your money and drink less beer- then get a second job to support the VW habit.. ( I had 3 jobs at once)

Anyway, I will be offering an engine kit of the components- Not in a million years would I share this combo!
Locked