DTM #109 ..wow..

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

HEY! That looks like the 36 HP pulley & nut I need,
for the tiny, "narrow" 6volt genny!

Is that the same one Jake?

If so, I'll buy you a new one and have it shipped to you.....

Don
User avatar
samcat
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 12:01 am

Post by samcat »

Another big problem I have noticed in the above picture....

That engine brace bar is NOT going to be strong enough... Cardboard and tape just wont cut it! You need something fabricated from metal!!!

;) :P

CYa,
Sam C
ʇɐɔɯɐs
User avatar
914 Ghost
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by 914 Ghost »

You guys are crazy!
I'm pretty sure the cardboard will hold. It's CORRUGATED, nothing but the best.
And Jake....I see....I know the diameter is a little different on the pulley but I didn't know it would be such a huge difference in ratio.
Is it THAT big a difference...?
I have a new pulley anyway, so no biggie - AND I have an aluminum backing plate for the generator, like in the Bug ME vid.
Stoked.
Bob O

Don-
It's basically the same as the 36hp, it's Porsche 356/912 stuff.
I may not need it I guess, and the inner 1/2 pulley is brand new.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

The difference is a 1.58:1 drive ratio with the stock top pulley or 1.90:1 with the 356 pulley- significant!
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:The difference is a 1.58:1 drive ratio with the stock top pulley or 1.90:1 with the 356 pulley- significant!
So, @ 7000 RPM, his fan will *try* to turn 13,300 RPM!

:shock:

BUWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Hey, If ya end up not needing it, PM me a price and I'll pay you by whatever method you prefer(PayPal, money order, postal money order).

BJ's are NOT considered methods of payment!
:-O

Don
User avatar
DudeAndHisBus
Posts: 295
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by DudeAndHisBus »

dstar wrote:BJ's are NOT considered methods of payment!
I don't know, that depends on who you are talking to... :wink:
User avatar
Schmuck69
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:46 pm

Post by Schmuck69 »

914 Ghost wrote:yeah, they DO look good.
here's a picture of mine: (if the link works)
Image
or click here:
http://www.912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&p=96422
Hey...that looks pretty similar to my engine mount bar set-up. Did you see my previous post on it?

Here is a newer picture of my bar with a dummy engine mounted in the car. I have lots more if you are interested.

It is the 911 style set-up but I would have gone with the DTM if it was available at the time. I actually got this shroud from Jake a while back.

Image
User avatar
Schmuck69
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:46 pm

Post by Schmuck69 »

I was looking closer and noticed that you used the center mount isolators...interesting. I decided to go with the early 914 style solid center mount and use two 911 style (WEVO) engine mounts in the stock locations. I am sure it will work either way.

-Britain

Image
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

I see a TO4 in someone's future...........
8)

Don
User avatar
914 Ghost
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by 914 Ghost »

Ha HA!!
Hey Britain, checkkity check it...trying to keep up!!
DTM is looking to be a pretty nifty setup...sure sure..I wont have a friggen turbo...I REALLY want to see your car in person someday.
Image
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

There'sa turbo in the pic above........

DSC00987_jpg.jpg

Don
ZoSo914
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:07 pm

Post by ZoSo914 »

dstar wrote:HEY! That looks like the 36 HP pulley & nut I need,
for the tiny, "narrow" 6volt genny!

Is that the same one Jake?

If so, I'll buy you a new one and have it shipped to you.....

Don
I was just thinking about how good that pulley looked on his engine, its the first thing i noticed in fact. I just bought that same pully for my 59 beetle, so it should fit on your 36hp. Be warned though It costs an arm and a leg to buy new. total was over $80 IIRC Another thing to remember is that the bottom pulley on a 36 hp is bigger than a 356. I used a 1600 pulley i had laying around.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Bob, is that an 010 or 019 dizzy in the pic?? It looks to be, or is it from the 356/912 engine??
User avatar
914 Ghost
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:54 pm

Post by 914 Ghost »

Jake-
it's the 022 WITH pertronix I had in my 912. I'm either going to run that thing or an 050 I have- which is NOS.
They're about the same as far as function / advance...so, toss up.
I know I know..Mallory is the "shizzle". I'll budget that in sometime when it's all running and reliable.
But dooood check out the mount. My modified Vanagon mount, It took me about 7 straight hours to get that thing built- I don't even own a vice or a workbench! Many cardboard templates, lots of thinking and grinding...but it actually looks better in person...AND bolts right up to the 2 stock mounts! Rock on!
AND I have 4 mounts Isolating the engine vibrations. It would be pretty easy to jig that thing up and make it out of 3/4x1-1/2" square steel, with 1/8" wall.
It doesn't need the "swoops" shape..straight bar would work the same.
DTM #109 is officially installed. Hope to have it running next week sometime then I'll tackle the tin.
Hey, any thoughts on my clutch play deal that I emailed you about?
Bob O
Image
Image
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I emailed you back about the clutch arrangement, asking what flywheel and pressure plate you have..

the 022 dizzy has a very odd advance rate, but I like it better than the 050- the 050 sets up so retarded at idle if you don't jack the full timing to 34 degrees..
Locked